Topic: Bias Ply Tires

gdornfeld@comcast.net    -- 01-05-2016 @ 4:25 PM
  I put new bias ply WWW tires on my 1939 Ford Convertible Coupe Deluxe when I restored it about 1985. I have had no trouble since. The car resides most of the time in a darkened garage, when I am not running it. Now, 30 years later, my son told me I need to replace the tires due to age. There is no cracking or distress on the rubber. Is he right? Is it dangerous to run the car with these tires?

1934 Ford    -- 01-05-2016 @ 6:01 PM
  You'll get lots of advice on this question because old tires can be dangerous. However, the danger is dependant on how you use the car. If you take it on the interstate and drive at highway speeds, replace the tires. If you pleasure drive it at
low in town speeds to car shows, cruise-ins, local tours, you should be fine.
I have a 35 Ford pickup with 1970 Allstate bias ply tires that are round, hard and hold air. They probably wouldn't go flat if there was no air in them. I use the truck a few times a year for fun at 45 MPH or less. The flat spots go away in about a mile, but the tires look great. Maybe keeping it indoors when not in use is the reason but my radials on modern cars die in 6 years with full tread even if kept indoors.
With the bias ply whitewalls on the 34 Fordor that we use for Glidden Tours and others, we can wear the tread off in about 10 years. No dry rot or cracking like the radials get in 6 -7 years. I considered radials the last time for the 34, but chose the longevity of the bias ply tires.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 01-06-2016 @ 7:50 AM
  The rubber in the tires gets hard over time, whether sitting in the garage or outside.

When the tire rubber gets hard, the tire loses some of it traction, increasing the stopping distance.

Tubeless tires are more dangerous when old as they can lose pressure suddenly if the bead loses it seal.

If it were my car and I wanted to drive it, even if just in a parade, I would replace the tires.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 01-06-2016 @ 10:43 AM
  You can google lot's of info on this subject. Every tire company has different suggestions on tire age and what is safe. The longest time I have seen any tire company say a tire is safe is 10 years. Most recommend 8 years as a maximum. You exceed it by 20 years! If it was my car I would listen to my son, he may save your life!

gdornfeld@comcast.net    -- 01-06-2016 @ 1:29 PM
  Thank you all for your advise. I will replace the tires.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9276