Topic: Flywheel

hardtop25    -- 01-01-2016 @ 12:46 PM
  See attached photo. Question is: should the flywheel be replaced? During removal of transmission I needed to unbolt the pressure plate as the pilot bearing was stuck on the input shaft. this tells me some sort of mismatch occurred. Thanks.

ronnie    -- 01-02-2016 @ 3:01 AM
  Hardtop 25,

the part that the pilot bearing goes into is the back part of the crankshaft,where the flywheel bolts to. from your picture it looks like the outer part of the bearing is still there,if it is all you would have to do is remove it and replace with new bearing. the oblong damage looks like it could have been done when the crankshaft was made.

Ronnie

kubes40    -- 01-02-2016 @ 6:55 AM
  Um, the pilot bearing is lightly pressed in to the flywheel - not the crankshaft.
If I am looking at the photograph correctly, that flywheel is junk.

TomO    -- 01-02-2016 @ 8:14 AM
  I agree with Mike, that the flywheel should be replaced and would probably replace the transmission main drive gear and bearing. Then replace all of the worn parts in the transmission.

Tom

hardtop25    -- 01-02-2016 @ 11:03 AM
  Thanks for reply. Does the tapered nose of the main shaft penetrate beyond the pilot bearing/bushing and into the smaller hole in the flywheel? Any preference bearing over bushing?

kubes40    -- 01-02-2016 @ 12:29 PM
  I prefer a shielded bearing vs. a bushing. Coincidentally, the generator bearing is the same.

The crankshaft does not come in to play.

I agree with Tom 100% in that you are best to replace at minimum the front bearing as it surely took a beating. Also, again as Tom advised, take a very careful look at all internals of that transmission.
Pilot bearing numbers: National 203FF, Napa 6203-2RST

hardtop25    -- 01-02-2016 @ 2:22 PM
  Thanks again. I'm replacing trans with rebuilt '40 side shift. Application is '36 PU w/ '40 juice, etc.

ronnie    -- 01-02-2016 @ 2:56 PM
  Sorry for the misinformation Hardtop25,worked on to many SBC's
Ronnie

40 Coupe    -- 01-03-2016 @ 4:27 AM
  ,The hole through the fly wheel is straight with one diameter. The reduced size hole is the back of the crankshaft. It appears the bearing or bushing for the pilot was either left out or it was destroyed in use allowing the input shaft of the transmission to wander over to the side and hit the sides of the hole in the crankshaft. If the bearing or the bushing was OK when you removed it (old damage) or there was no bearing or bushing in the flywheel(new damage). Either way, make sure the smaller hole in the crankshaft will accept the transmission input shaft pilot diameter. You may have to use a fine file and remove some of the peened over metal. Removing this small amount of metal, this close to the C/L of the crank, is not going to cause a problem with balance. Then replace the bearing and see if it fits snug into the diameter of the flywheel opening. If you have a spare trans input shaft or a pilot for clutch alignment make sure there is no interferance to the holes and the shaft pilot and the front of the transmission shaft is OK. You should be good to reassemble, after doing an inspection of the front end of the transmission. make sure the bearing and shaft on the other side of the input shaft are still good.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-3-16 @ 4:40 AM

hardtop25    -- 01-03-2016 @ 6:49 PM
  40 coupe thanks. I removed flywheel and can see smaller hole is crank. there appears to be two diameters.The larger accepts the pilot with some room to spare while the slight bevel of the pilot shaft sits easily at the smaller diameter without entering into the deeper portion. Is that how it should be? The bearing was stuck on the old transmission shaft( which I won't be using), not damaged or destroyed so was free from the flywheel.I had to unbolt the pressure plate because the shaft would not slide out from the disc.

40 Coupe    -- 01-04-2016 @ 5:35 AM
  You are correct just the taper on the front of the transmission shaft should enter the hole in the crankshaft. When you install the new bearing or bushing into the flywheel you should find out weather the hole has been damaged by the old bearing. If so you will need a replacement fly wheel.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-4-16 @ 5:48 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9262