Topic: 1937 cab. top irons.

m.eaton    -- 12-23-2015 @ 11:59 AM
  my friend used to have the same car. he tells me my top irons are for a roadster( they have a knee joint in the middle). can anyone shoot me a picture if this is the case and what the real ones should look like? there is a lot of evidence that the car came from south america lending credence to what he says about them maybe being wrong

trjford8    -- 12-23-2015 @ 2:27 PM
  I did a quick search of the '37 information that I have and do not find any drawings or photos of the top assemblies. I did find in the V-8 Club's '37 book a statement that the roadster and cabriolet top assemblies were different, but no explanation of how they were different. I also checked my back issues of the V-8 Times and found no photos or drawings.
For top mechanism drawings you may have to contact the Ford archives at Greenfield Village in Michigan. You can also contact Jay Temple in North Carolina, Gary Mallast in Michigan or John Jaeger in Oregon. All were involved in the development of the V-8 Club's 1937 book. They are all listed in the V-8 club's roster and very knowledgeable '37 guys.

37 Cab    -- 12-23-2015 @ 5:02 PM
  I can get a couple pics of my 37 cab top tomorrow if you like.

drkbp    -- 12-23-2015 @ 5:15 PM
  meaton,

Do you have a Club or Rumble Seat Cabriolet?

The '37 Roadster is Rumble Seat.

The Clubs are a longer top but it is in the rear iron/bow area where the length is made.

The '37 - '39 Cabriolet irons have a knee joint you refer to over the window and seal all around the door window when it is raised. I just looked at a '38 Rumble Seat version I have in the shop. They are a more complicated set of top irons than the '35 I was driving this afternoon.

The '37 Roadster should be dimensionally the same as the Rumble Seat Cabriolet but not have the window seal channels, etc. The '37 roadster door is not much more than a "leaded over" cabriolet door without the window slot and garnish molding. I saw a '37 roadster body at Pate in Texas many years ago. It was nice and I should have bought it.

Post a picture and we can probably determine what you have. You should be able to seal up your window when raised. There are curved sections that allow the window to seal at the top rear corners.

Ken in Texas

I see 37 Cab has the ticket to match your top meaton.

This message was edited by drkbp on 12-23-15 @ 5:22 PM

m.eaton    -- 12-29-2015 @ 12:52 PM
  thank for the info i'll do that. thanks again

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9241