Topic: Horn Rod

carpguy    -- 03-12-2010 @ 8:55 AM
  Morning All,
Well this being my first try at restoring a '37 pick-up has had it rewards but boy do I keep messing up. This morning, since I took my engine out to be replaced I thought I would correct the horn and lighting rod since the first time I did it on the bench and did'nt get the horn button in the correct position. I was tring to get the little keeper off at the spider and broke the small like brass keeper on the bottom of the rod. I see there are repair kits. Do they work? Or am I doomed to find another rod? Thanks
Gary
Moscow, Id.

Gary Wright

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-12-2010 @ 9:08 AM
  hi Gary Wright
The bottom brass piece is attached to the wire that goes up though the horn rod and is solderd to the horn button on the top,
you will have to CAREFULLY bend the tabs,straight,
[ these are on the chrome ring,this is what holds the whole thing together,]
there is a spring under the bakelite cap with the V8 on it,
you might be able to repair what you have, its hard by not seeing it,you might be able to resolder the brass end back on the wire, or use a new wire and reuse the brass end ?
you can always try a kit,this should come with a new wire and INSTRUCTIONS,
I would imagine that the old wire might be frayed or close to it,
lets hear how you made out,37RAGTOPMAN,

jerry.grayson    -- 03-12-2010 @ 11:43 AM
  I think that if you broke the end of the rod off at the light switch end you are in the market for another horn rod. The repair kit is for non horn rod vehicles (40-48)

carpguy    -- 03-12-2010 @ 12:43 PM
  Afternoon,
Thank you for the reply Jerry and 37Ragtopman. The kit I was looking at in Mac's and talking to the person at C&G. The kits are for 28 to 39 Horn rod wire and internal repair kit, so this might help me. Mr.Ragtopman, what I thought was that the brass rod is what triggered the horn by pushing down on the center of the round thing at the end of the wire harness that fits in the light switch set up. So I should be seeing a wire at the end of the rod? Maybe I just knocked off the solder? I know I didn't brake the rod yet.
Thanks
Gary
Moscow, Id.

Gary Wright

40 Coupe    -- 03-14-2010 @ 8:49 AM
  the brass piece on the end of the rod is an electrical contact. above that is an insulator and above that is the start of the metal casing of the rod. The clip that attaches the spring goes around the metal casing just below the square section and above the insulator. You may not have damaged anything check it out using an ohmeter. Brattons sells a nice kit for rewiring the horn rod. Mode A is the same as V8.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-14-2010 @ 3:25 PM
  hi Gary
the horn rod is steel,
the brass tip, maybe you could fabricate a end with a brass brake shoe rivit,this would have a hole in it,were you could solder a new wire in it, and use a piece of plastic tube,[ TRY A HOBBY SHOP,] or a good hardware store, for the insulater,and pull wire up to the top and solder the button on the top last,
I would trying to make my own kit,
but if they are cheap enough buy one and try it,
my 3 cents worth, 37 RAGTOPMAN
trying to find a original rod might be hard,
and it is a hard item to ship,and might break in transit,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=921