Topic: '36 TEMPERATURE GAUGE

rogbell    -- 12-10-2015 @ 9:36 AM
  I've finished the dash wiring on my '36 and have pulled the water pumps to pull the radiator. The capillary tube to the left pump was not connected to the probe, only discovered when pulling the pump as the car hasn't been driven since I received it in July. Cannot run another tube thru the firewall access hole without removing the wiring harness, which I do not want to do.
I would like to install an electric temperature gauge but wonder if there is a way to use a 12v gauge with my 6v system. Can the gauge be modified to work? Car will only be a Touring Class car.

flatheadfan    -- 12-14-2015 @ 5:07 AM
  Roger-

First, the original temperature capillarity tube is worthless for getting an accurate temperature. As for replacement, originals are nearly impossible to find and if you do find one have a deep pocket available! There are some Argentina replacements that pop-up on ebay but they are of poor quality and the red fluid usually turns white in a year making it impossible to read.

What I have done on my '35 and '36 was to add a gauge cluster under the dash. The cluster has a temperature and oil pressure gauge, a toggle switch for turn signals and a "dead man" switch to prime the engine (electric fuel pump) after a long sit.

Solves a lot of problems and removes a lot of guesswork at a very minimum cost.

Tom

rogbell    -- 12-14-2015 @ 3:14 PM
  Tom,

What gauges did you use? Is the temp gauge mechanical or electrical? If electrical, 6v. or did you convert to 12v.? If 6v. where did you obtain or if you kept everything 6v. and used a 12v. gauge, how did you get it to work?

Roger

flatheadfan    -- 12-14-2015 @ 5:22 PM
  Roger-

The gauges are mechanical (Sun-pro). Both cars ('35 and '36), are still 6 volt. If you are seeking a 6 volt 2 inch round electrical gauge, the only one I know is a '40-'55 Jeep. It will fit a standard 2 inch dash plate. The downside is it has an olive drab color.

Tom

rogbell    -- 12-15-2015 @ 9:19 AM
  Tom,
Thanks for the additional info.
Roger

mrtexas    -- 12-16-2015 @ 6:27 AM
  I had my T gauge converted to led and it uses a modern T sender.

rogbell    -- 12-16-2015 @ 8:52 AM
  Tom,
I may have to stay with a mechanical gauge, can't find any 6v. What is the number of the Sunpro temp gauge you used? Also, were you able to use the probe that was supplied and did it screw into the water pump without any problems?
Roger

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9208