Topic: '36 FORD RADIATOR HOSES

rogbell    -- 12-10-2015 @ 9:28 AM
  I'VE PULLED THE RADIATOR FROM MY COUPE AND AM HAVING IT REPAIRED AND CLEANED. I ORDERED NEW HOSES AND WAS WONDERING HOW YOU INSTALL THE LOWER HOSES AS THEY ARE VERY SHORT WITH VERY LITTLE FLEX, IF ANY, AND WITH NOT MUCH ROOM TO WORK WITH. THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

ken ct.    -- 12-10-2015 @ 1:28 PM
  Soak in hot water and they will soften up then kind of fold them in the middle to get say the rad. end on then fight getting the block end on , its not easy but it will go on. Done it many times. ken ct.

rdofloor    -- 12-10-2015 @ 1:29 PM
  I just measured them and cut and slit one end on on as fore it would go then fought and pried until they went on I also cleaned the ends of the outlet on the eng so there was not as much drag when sliding it on. any prying should only be done on the casting end not the radiator end, I also sprayed a little silcone on the hose to help

nelsb01    -- 12-10-2015 @ 2:39 PM
  You said you had the radiator out -- so before putting the bolts in to mount the radiator, slide the hose on and then slide on the engine. A little high quality grease also assists in sliding.
Once the hose is on, then mount the radiator and finish by sliding the hose into it's final position.
Dont forget to put the clamps on before the hose is installed on the engine. And make sure that the screw side of the clamp is toward the fender.

rogbell    -- 12-10-2015 @ 3:32 PM
  Thanks for all the suggestions, sure glad there are all you smart guys out there.

Grant    -- 12-13-2015 @ 6:07 AM
  Roger,

At the beginning, those new rad hoses will stay pretty hard. As they age the rubber gets softer.

Don't forget to keep checking how tight the clamps are. Both bottom hoses on our '36 started leaking after a few hundred miles.

flatheadfan    -- 12-14-2015 @ 1:25 AM
  Roger-

I have a '35 and a '36. The '36 is MUCH easier to install the lower hoses. I just take off the lower radiator pan (4 bolts) and slip the hoses on. Replace the pan and you are good to go. Couldn't be easier. The '35 is another story.

Tom

rogbell    -- 12-14-2015 @ 3:26 PM
  When the radiator is back from the repair shop, I'll try all the suggestions one at a time up to the point they are installed. Thanks everyone.

3w2    -- 12-15-2015 @ 8:29 PM
  Unless you use low melting point grease it will clog the tubes of your radiator. It is safer by far to use spray silicone (and slipperier too).

rogbell    -- 12-16-2015 @ 8:56 AM
  Thanks, I was planning on using the spray.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9207