Topic: Restore or not

46coupe    -- 12-10-2015 @ 8:20 AM
  Hello everyone. I'm new to the club and forum so I hope this is proper procedure. I purchased a 46 coupe about 2 months ago and have purchased the 1941-48 Ford book. I was told by the seller that this car is a survivor and original. According to my new book and other research this appears to be true. Interior is original with no tears, stains, etc. Interior trim and paint in great shape. The headliner in complete with no tears, just unglued in places. Exterior body has some surface rusted scr*pes, chips and a few very small dents. Paint appears original.
My question, should I totally restore the car or maintain what I have and address the imperfections and restore the running gear inside and out instead?

deluxe40    -- 12-10-2015 @ 9:05 AM
  Nice looking car. It's yours and you should do what will please you the most. In my opinion, your car looks too good to restore. People will enjoy looking at its original features and finishes. There is always something to be done to improve a car to keep you busy. Also, one of the great pleasures of owning a Ford V8 is driving it and you won't get to do that for a long time if you tear it all apart for a full restoration.

46coupe    -- 12-10-2015 @ 9:17 AM
  Thanks for the reply.As of now I have to address an oil drip and see if I can adjust the clutch. Not looking for awards but didn't know if there is a class for original cars at most of the shows. Would you or anyone know if there is, or does it depend on the show and venue?

ford38v8    -- 12-10-2015 @ 9:28 AM
  Beautiful car! Parked in between two fully restored cars, yours would always draw more attention. The patina of an original is more attractive, and the imperfections provide the provenance.

If you have never been to a V8 Club National Meet, you must go, and enter your car in the Rouge Class on the Concourse. The award for this class is based in originality, rather than condition, and is divided into three categories, from which you will likely qualify for two, maybe three: Exterior; Interior; and Running Gear. Go to the Home Page of this Forum, and click on Upcoming Events. Welcome to the Club!

Alan

46coupe    -- 12-10-2015 @ 3:35 PM
  Alan
Thank you for the info. I will check out the meets and shows. Going to Alabama this Sat for the last car show of the year to benefit kids. My son is taking his SRT Challenger. His first show.
Thanks again
Brad

Ihateoldcars    -- 12-10-2015 @ 4:38 PM
  Congratulations on your purchase of an Early Ford V-8.
First, I want to encourage you to join the Club and the Regional Group nearest you. You can find info on this site. RGs are an excellent source of knowledge and networking. Second, my suggestion is that you enjoy the car for a while, get to know it, learn its personality. Hopefully you will grow to appreciate it and enjoy the time spent. I have always tried to own a car a year or so before I start making any changes, except for safety or operational issues. During that time you can attend events, discuss options with other owners and decide what steps to take next. Lastly, if possible have someone in the Club look at the car to verify its originality. Sometimes people think that a car is original but in fact the work was done so long ago that it looks original or was done in an attractive but incorrect way. Most of all, enjoy the car. Again, congratulations.

MG    -- 12-10-2015 @ 5:05 PM
  DFWI !

This message was edited by MG on 12-10-15 @ 5:22 PM

46coupe    -- 12-10-2015 @ 6:07 PM
  Thanks for comments. I planned to do what you suggested. So far using the Ford book I bought from the club, the areas checked have been exactly as described in the book. I' m sure not all are and some will not prove original.I do plan on driving to Bristol Tn wen I have more confidence in the car and have taken time to check out all the mechanicals.
Regarding the last post,I had not planned to, for quite awhile.

len47merc    -- 12-11-2015 @ 5:42 AM
  One more - IMHO, PRESERVE it (don't restore it). And never look back - you'll never regret it. Attend a meet or two and you will realize the value, not only of what you have, but in preserving it as well. Read the judging specs and understand them clearly before turning the first nut/screw/bolt and know what is allowed to be changed. Once you are fully conversant in this make your decision on what you may wish to change, if anything (for instance, safety related items that may make the car safer to drive, etc.).

Were it me I'd make sure the brakes, suspension and steering are rock solid and from there I'd just enjoy it. Very nice - congrats!

(EDIT - agree with the Rouge Class showing comment. Try to do this if possible - you'll be amazed by how much you learn from the experience)

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-11-15 @ 5:44 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 12-11-2015 @ 7:41 AM
  I agree with the "keep it as original" suggestions, remember it's only original once. Your '46 is too nice to restore. I would make it safe by looking over the braking system. Make sure the wiring is in good shape and all lighting is in working order. Yes, join the V-8 Club and attend their advertised shows, you would be welcome in the Rouge Class. Enjoy the car as it is and in the future if you think the car is in need of a restoration by all means do so. I think you will find that you will get more enjoyment from a car like yours that you can drive and not be afraid of getting caught in the rain or parking it in a lot. Have fun with it!

TomO    -- 12-11-2015 @ 8:44 AM
  Here is another vote for keeping it original and enjoying it.

The head liner is held up by bows that are threaded through loops in the fabric. Glue will stain the fabric.

Just so you don't spend many hours and lots of money, most Fords from the 32-48 era, drip a little if they are driven.

The front crankshaft seal can be replaced by a full circle seal and that usually fixes the leak there. You can replace the rear rope seal with a more modern rope type seal, but you will have to pull the engine in order to do the job correctly.

Follow Len47Merc's advice and read the rules about what changes are allowed in the Rouge Class. He and I both have Rouge cars,

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-11-15 @ 8:46 AM

46coupe    -- 12-11-2015 @ 10:33 AM
  Just checked the new comments. Preserve is what my goal has been, but I wanted input as to what would be the best path to take. I think that has been addressed by all your great comments and support/ suggestions.
Thank you all very much.

len47merc    -- 12-11-2015 @ 11:10 AM
  46coupe - not to hammer it to death, in your first post you stated in your last sentence "...should I totally restore the car or maintain what I have and address the imperfections and restore the running gear inside and out instead". Reference again the judging specs and what can and what should not be changed/replaced in order to qualify for a Rouge class award for originality. Try to gain a keen understanding here, if you do not have it already, of what 'running gear' truly involves and preserve it, as you say, as much as you can. For instance, when pulling the motor (if necessary) to replace a rear main seal (and while you are at it inspect the clutch/pressure plate and replace if necessary as well) it would not be advisable if pursuing a Rouge award to completely clean the motor and motor compartment (or to take it a step further [heaven forbid!] repaint much of either) - the judge(s) may deem it to have been 'over-restored' and not award you the running gear certification. 'Imperfections' many times (perhaps most times is more accurate) are actually glorious representations and validations of a truly original car.

The original front floor mat in my '47 Merc, which quite fortunately has an otherwise unblemished original interior, was also unblemished upon receipt of the car, but once it was gently lifted to replace the master cylinder it began to crack and crumble. With excellent advice from this forum and the EFV8 technical adviser I have left it as is rather that replace it or cover it - judges have complimented me for my 'taste' (!?) in leaving it as is and stated that added to the validation of the car for its Interior Rouge Class Award. Initially I saw it as an 'imperfection' - now I see it as a beauty mark from birth.

Be careful - what you deem to be an 'imperfection' may actually be looked at by others (judges, knowledgeable buyers, etc.) as golden. I find it hard to believe personally how much I NOW am attracted to a original dust and oil/grease covered engine compartment of a car that was driven (not trailored) 100+ miles to a Meet. Interesting these owners always seem to have the biggest smiles on their faces as well.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-11-15 @ 2:53 PM

46coupe    -- 12-11-2015 @ 3:08 PM
  Don't know what happened to my last post. Basically I agreed with the preserve comments. That has been my goal but wanted to check here for thoughts on restoring.
Again I want to thank everyone for their input.I will be checking out the key mechanicals for safety and then maintaining and researching the car. I hope to meet you all someday at one of the meets.
Brad

46coupe    -- 12-11-2015 @ 3:20 PM
  Thank you so much for your input. Preservation was my goal but I wanted some thoughts about restoring this car. Did it need to be restored or not? Is there a class at the shows for original cars? etc Many more questions came to mind, as well. You all answered all my questions plus added info that will help me in my work.I look forward to meeting you all at one of the meets / shows.
Thanks again
Brad

46coupe    -- 12-12-2015 @ 3:57 AM
  Sorry for the double post. Very glad to have found these last posts. Guess I don't have to paint anything or make anything "new"again.Unfortunately I had to put in a trunk mat.but that is all I've done.I will definitely get the rules for the rouge class.

woodiewagon46    -- 12-12-2015 @ 6:53 AM
  Since you are new to the V-8 Club you will soon receive a copy of the 2016 "Roster of Members". In it you find a clear definition of the judging guidelines for the Rouge class. Most of the items that can be replaced are common sense, such as any safety related items, hoses, belts, generator and starter, distributor and wires, exhaust etc. Cosmetic condition and wear and tear is considered normal. The goal is to keep your car running and as original as possible. The judges are very fair and will welcome your car and any questions you have.

bigvince    -- 01-26-2016 @ 12:30 PM
  It's only original once.

silverchief    -- 01-27-2016 @ 10:05 AM
  I also have a 46 coupe. In looking at your car, it appears your upholstery is the same as mine. Looking at page 3-37 of 41-48 Ford Book you will see that is a "special option custom interior" programmed for only 10,000 cars to be produced April through June 1947 I have owned my coupe 14 years, and during that time have enjoyed little by little bringing it back to the beautiful car it is today.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9206