Topic: 1936 radiator questions

pinnsky    -- 12-05-2015 @ 5:49 PM
  The cooling fluid capacity is 5 gallons. Anyone know how much is in the radiator and how much is in the block?
Are the 1936 radiators interchangeable between models? Will a coupe fit a fordor or Tudor?
Has anyone had any experience with aluminum aftermarket radiators? Good or bad.Pros or cons?
Thanks
Tom

nelsb01    -- 12-05-2015 @ 8:47 PM
  The radiators are the same for all passenger vehicles.
Hope that helps some.

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2015 @ 12:06 AM
  Tom, All 1936 Ford passenger cars used the same radiator. Pickups radiators were different.
Copper/brass radiators are superior to aluminum and aluminum/plastic in several ways: Better heat transfer, better structural strength, and better resistance to oxidation. Also due to oxidation, the heat transfer ability of aluminum is reduced even further over time.

Your best bet is to have your original radiator recored. The radiator is disassembled, the tanks are salvaged and reused with a new copper core.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 12-6-15 @ 12:07 AM

TomO    -- 12-06-2015 @ 9:09 AM
  I agree with Alan on the recore vs the aluminum radiator. Make sure that the new core has the same number of tubes and the same number of fins per inch and has louvered fins. The louvered fins cost more than the straight fins but do a better job of cooling.

The Ford cooling system is marginal at best and the newer cores don't work quite as well as the original cores, so you need to get the best that you get. The money spent at this time will save you a lot of aggravation and money later.

While you are waiting for your radiator to be re-cored, you should try to clean the block by soaking the water passages with a mixture of 50/50 CLR and water. Flush the block before and after soaking. Vinegar also works pretty well.

Tom

RG25Pres    -- 12-06-2015 @ 3:47 PM
  50 % muratic acid also works,available at pool supply stores.

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2015 @ 10:34 PM
  Muriatic acid may be overkill, I'd be careful with that, and use it outdoors, or with plenty of air circulation.

Alan

pinnsky    -- 12-07-2015 @ 4:58 PM
  Tom O, I sent you a PM.
Tom

TomO    -- 12-08-2015 @ 7:55 AM
  I replied to your PM.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9189