Topic: 40 ford v8 won't turn over

Steve 40 ford    -- 12-01-2015 @ 7:42 AM
  Looking for mechanic around brighton mi to help with car will not turn over. Battery good,starter seloind good. Just clicks. Thinking it might be the stater.

deluxe40    -- 12-01-2015 @ 9:41 AM
  Might be a stuck starter drive. Try putting the car in high gear with the parking brake off and rocking it. Sometimes takes two people to give it a good enough rock. You will hear it twang if it comes loose.

carcrazy    -- 12-01-2015 @ 11:31 AM
  It could just be a bad electrical connection somewhere in the starter circuit. Inspect, clean, and tighten the connections at both of the battery posts first. If the solenoid still just clicks, clean the terminals on the solenoid, clean the starter hot terminal and make sure the starter ground path is good.

trjford8    -- 12-02-2015 @ 10:27 AM
  Definitely make sure all the grounds are clean. If you have the woven metal ground strap they can corrode internally. Even though the ends are going to a clean ground they can be a problem. Make sure you have a good ground between the body and the frame and a ground from the motor to the frame. Grounding is critical to the 6 volt system.

Old Henry    -- 12-02-2015 @ 4:18 PM
  It could just be the brushes wearing out on the starter motor. When mine have done that a couple of raps on the side of the starter with a hammer restores contact and it works again . . . for a while. Eventually the brushes need replaced. If you give the starter a couple of raps with a hammer and it works you know it's the brushes.

Steve 40 ford    -- 12-04-2015 @ 9:41 AM
  I'll give it a try thanks.

Steve 40 ford    -- 12-04-2015 @ 9:43 AM
  I have a new battery,seloind, and ground wire. HIT the starter a few times with a hammer still nothing.

cliftford    -- 12-04-2015 @ 12:02 PM
  If you have tried all the things mentioned, then attach a volt meter between the starter post [not the cable end but the post] and a good ground. Hit the srarter button and if you get voltage, pull the starter and bench test it. If no voltage,retrace your steps.

This message was edited by cliftford on 12-4-15 @ 12:04 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9180