Topic: poor fuel economy

grump40    -- 03-11-2010 @ 10:54 AM
  A rebuilt carb w/ correct economiser valve gets only 8 mpg but has good power and idles well. Heavy fuel odor occurs after shutting it down. Would a new accelerator pump help?

Stroker    -- 03-11-2010 @ 1:35 PM
  The fuel odor after shut down is most likely caused by the fuel inlet float valve not seating correctly. This would also dramatically affect mileage. Cause could be having set too high a float level when rebuilding, a leaky float, dirt in the needle and seat assembly, or excessive fuel pressure. You can test for float leaks by weighting the float down in a pan of water so it
is completely submerged. Heat the water, and look for bubbles coming out of the float.

trjford8    -- 03-11-2010 @ 6:33 PM
  Are you running a stock fuel pump or an electric pump? If you have an electric pump you need a fuel pressure regulator.

Pauls39    -- 03-11-2010 @ 8:48 PM
  Check your power valve. A Leaking gasket on the power valve or an incorrect valve, will dump fuel like mad.
Remove the ridge on the power valve gasket surface to ensure a good seal.

supereal    -- 03-12-2010 @ 12:42 PM
  It is normal to have some smell after a hot shutdown due to "heat soak" of the carb. If the fuel is leaking down at shutoff, it will usually show up as hard starting. Adding a couple of base gaskets will reduce the heat soak somewhat. I doubt that the accelerator pump is at fault, unless the little check ball and clip in the bottom of the pump well is not seating, or missing. If so, it could contribute to the high consumption. Also check to see which position the pump link is in.

Steves46    -- 03-12-2010 @ 2:32 PM
  My 46 Coupe behaves the same way. After I shut down after a good run, I can smell fuel-nothing real heavy but you it's there. In about 20 minutes the smell is gone. When it comes to restarting about 20-30 minutes later, sometimes she becomes a bit stubborn as you can her it try to start on the first few rotations but usually, I have to pump the pedal a time or 2. I always worry about flooding but thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-14-2010 @ 3:10 PM
  I saw in JEGGS CATALOG ,that they made wooden bases for the carbs, to stop the carb gas boiling problem,
this is for the modern carbs,
but sounds like a good idea,and probally not that hard to make, using a V8 FORD gasket for a template,
any body ever they this ? I wonder what king of wood they use, might interesting just to buy one to find out what kind of wood they are using,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-14-10 @ 3:11 PM

ford38v8    -- 03-14-2010 @ 10:47 PM
  Another way to stop the heat soak is to block the heat risers with copper pennies. This prevents the crossover exhaust from heating the manifold, and makes the exhaust note sound cool too! Be sure to use wheat stalk pennies, as the new ones don't have the copper content.

Alan

Stroker    -- 03-15-2010 @ 9:48 AM
  Perhaps the best choice would be old ironwood.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=918