Topic: '53 Master Cylinder Push Rod Length

Big Red 51    -- 11-27-2015 @ 12:14 PM
  I need to know the correct overall length for the stock '53 Car Master Cylinder Brake Pedal Push Rod.
Thanks,

TomO    -- 11-28-2015 @ 8:20 AM
  According to the passenger car parts catalog 6 1/4" long for the 53. The 52 is 6 3/16".

Tom

Big Red 51    -- 11-28-2015 @ 8:39 AM
  Tom, Thank you for the response. Mine appears to be original and measures 6 1/8 inches with threads on the MC end which don't appear to be normal. I got this car a couple of years ago with new brakes including everything plus about 1 3/4 pedal play which I have tolerated because the brakes stop good and function okay.Even after adjusting the shoes and max length of the push rod I still have about 1 3/4" pedal free play. The MC appears normal with no air and no leaks. Perhaps the MC piston is not retracting all the way causing the excess free play. MC looks like typical replacement. Any ideas?
Thanks, Don

TomO    -- 11-29-2015 @ 9:45 AM
  Don,

Do you have power brakes? My parts catalog does not show the power brakes.

If you do not have power brakes, the pushrod that you have is incorrect, the correct one can be ordered from C&G. It does not have threads.

The 1/8" difference should not cause more than 1" of free play.

The master cylinder piston is probably returning all of the way. If it did not return, it would block the bypass port in the MC and your brakes would lock up.

I suggest that you get the 1953 Chassis Parts Catalog and look at the way the non-power brake pedal is mounted. If your car has been converted from power brakes, the pedal mounting difference could account for some extra free play.

Wear in the pedal pivot and slop in the pedal to pushrod bushing could account for extra free play.

That is all that I can think of at this time.

Tom

Big Red 51    -- 11-29-2015 @ 11:02 AM
  Thanks Tom, I do not have power brakes, could have prior.l tried C&G late last week but not around, should hear back Monday. They list a rod but no pix. I will get a new one and should fix the problem. The threaded rod must have been for power brakes.I need to get a complete parts book.
Thanks for your response.
Don

Big Red 51    -- 12-04-2015 @ 5:18 PM
  Solution:
The Push Rod did not have the rubber cap(B5A-2142) on the threaded end. My original Push Rod was the correct length and the pedal free play is now in the 1/4" to 7/16th inch range. Amazing that the bushing with max adjustment on the rod, eliminates 1 1/2" free play on the 1953 standard brakes. All is well.
Don

This message was edited by Big Red 51 on 12-6-15 @ 7:00 AM

TomO    -- 12-05-2015 @ 8:18 AM
  That is interesting, my chassis parts catalog does not even show that part number.

I am glad that you found the solution and can now drive safely.

Tom

Big Red 51    -- 12-05-2015 @ 12:57 PM
  Surprised me also. C&G has all the push rod parts, including bushings(B2A-2474-A), the rod and rubber boot. The plastic cap(B5A-2142) is held firm by the threads.

This message was edited by Big Red 51 on 12-6-15 @ 7:02 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9172