Topic: '36 Ford wiring under the hood

rogbell    -- 11-20-2015 @ 11:50 AM
  I'm now starting to finish the dash wiring that comes out of the firewall and wonder how to feed the two wires that go to the generator and the coil thru the spark plug conduit. The spark plug wires were replaced before I purchased the car but those 2 wires were not. Can I feed the wires thru the conduit without removing the spark plug wires? Prefer not to have to do that if possible? Thanks.

ken ct.    -- 11-20-2015 @ 12:14 PM
  Run them hidden behind the plug wire tubes on the back side , hardly noticeable. Its not easy to snake them inside the tube.ken ct.

TomO    -- 11-21-2015 @ 8:24 AM
  You can use a thin, stiff wire to pull them through the conduit. Feed the pulling wire into the hole for the coil wire and carefully push it through to the end of the conduit. Attach the coil wire to the pulling wire by bending a hook into the pulling wire and then use electricians tape to wrap the hook and coil wire connector. Lubricate the tape with car wash soap and pull it through.

You can feed 2 pulling wires and pull both sets of wire together.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 11-22-2015 @ 3:55 PM
  I'm with Ken CT on this one. Personally, I prefer to keep those wires outside the spark plug wire conduit. Problems are likely to arise if and when one or more of the spark plug wires start to arc-out, leaking their high voltage to the nearest thing. Better that leakage can go to ground via the metal conduits, rather than another electrical circuit/wire.

Related: Babba recently commented that he uses WD40 on spark plug wires to prolong their life and thus reduce arcing. I haven't tried that but he's very knowledgeable re ignition systems.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 11-22-15 @ 3:58 PM

rogbell    -- 11-22-2015 @ 5:58 PM
  Thanks to all of you. I'll try to pull them thru first and if that fails, I'll tape them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9159