Topic: 6volt vs 12 volt?

Rickauf    -- 11-16-2015 @ 3:53 PM
  Hi all.. Hate to be a bother.... But how can I tell if I am running with 6volts or 12 volts? My pops put a gel battery into the ford casing... I know I can pry it open and just look.
I have no intentions of "putting in a stereo, xenon headlamps, etc)... So I expect the battery should it be a 6 volt would be suffient. Car has generator on it... I really don't think he would have converted to 12 volt.... Although , he did mention it. I know he told me you needed a little transformer box to reduce the voltage to the instruments so as not to fry them. There in lies my real question.... If he DID convert to a 12 volt.... How can I figure what is powered by 12 volts (starter? Headlamps, etc) and what is powered by 6 volts.?
I'm just scared to death of scr*w*ng something up. I'd like to put some correct fog lamps on it. I assume I need 6 volt if everything is still 6 volt... But if there is a 12 volt conversion I assume I would want 12volt lamps......... Which brings me to : are there any articles out there on how to wire up fog lamps... I assume it needs a relay along the wiring to the lamps, etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

MG    -- 11-16-2015 @ 4:32 PM
  Get yourself a cheapo volt meter/multi-meter from Harbor Freight and take some voltage measurements. Just measure across the posts of the battery...

len47merc    -- 11-16-2015 @ 4:48 PM
  Richauf - don't know about everyone else but you are confusing the heck out of me here. You posted this same question on 11-13 and received several good responses to your question from very knowledgeable individuals (myself excluded on the knowledgeable part). Have you reviewed those responses and if so, please follow-up on those with additional questions rather than having everyone have to repeat themselves. Thanks in advance.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9151