Topic: coils and adapters for 36 ford flathead

j.grif    -- 03-10-2010 @ 6:44 PM
  I see there are later coils and adapter kits available to replace the original type coils. Will these work on the flathead v8 and where would you mount the coil?
Believe the coil is 6/12 volts?? Is this a good way to go if maybe just for a fast available replacement system or even a permanent set up. Thanks

trjford8    -- 03-10-2010 @ 8:08 PM
  In the past I used the coil adapter and coil from Patrick's in Arizona Ph# 520-836-1117. I made may own coil mount, but Patrick's may have one that will work for you.

35ford    -- 03-11-2010 @ 7:15 AM
  The original coil can be rebuilt by Skip Haney in Fl. He advertizes in the V 8 Times. I have used his coils and they are great. Check his add or E-Mail skip@fordsrus.com

TomO    -- 03-11-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  I would go with the rebuilt coil. IMHO the stock coil looks better and performs better than the modern coils sold for 6 volt systems.

I have seen the aftermarket coils mounted on the heads, on the spark plug conduits, directly on the adapter, on the inner fender and hung from the generator mounting bolt. All of the mounting places have their drawbacks and none of them look right.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-11-2010 @ 10:17 AM
  Some of the coil adapters have inferior rotor brushes. A rebuilt stock coil beats a "modern" round coil every time, particularly if the newer coil has incorrect built in resistance. This is true even with the later remote coil cars of '42-'48. When I bought my '47, it had a round coil, and ran poorly. Part was due to failure to bypass the firewall resistor, but a rebuilt coil greatly improved starting and operation.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-18-2010 @ 6:43 AM
  I must be LUCKY,
I installed a NOS coil converter that I bought at a flea market,many years ago, cause I might need it,for years I had problems, with hard starting hot, with the original Ford coil,
then I had one rebuilt by a guy in MI,
first time I used it I came close to getting a roll
back,[ CAR DIED AT NIGHT ] sent it back to him, he repaired it, when it arrived to me it was cracked, then I sent it back to him, he said he was not reponsible for shipping, I said to him you send hunderds of these out, you can't pack them better,?
but last year I had SKIP rebuild a FORD SCRIPT coil,
With the coil converter, it has been running like a top,
but very soon I will install the original FORD coil but will take the coil and converter with me where ever I go
and the 6 volt coil I bought was a $15.00 from AUTOZONE,to use with the converter,
you can make your own converter, by using the bottom of a ORIGINAL FORD coil and a VW BUG BAKELITE SPARK PLUG END, and some epoxy,.I did this on a 35 FORD COUPE,
my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

Pauls39    -- 03-19-2010 @ 6:35 PM
  Have your original coil rebuilt by Skip, you can't go wrong. It will have the original look and perform like new. The coil adapters work ok if you use the correct coil, but you always have all those extra wires running all over the engine compartment. Guys who run them have had problems with the primary wire comming loose,or wires getting wrapped up in the fan, or wearing on the fan belt.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=915