Topic: Recommissioning a 40 that's been sitting 2 years

Rickauf    -- 11-09-2015 @ 12:13 PM
  Hi all,
My first post. Have been an early Ford V8 member for 2 years.
I live in an area that does not have a very active group (like my Fathers was in Dayton Ohio)... So don't know who to ask so I figured I would post here. My father passed away 2 years ago. He willed to me his 1940 Mercury 4 door convertible. He did a 4 year 100k plus restoration on it. It is original to the last bolt with 'Ford' script.
Anyway, I placed it in my garage, took it out a few times... Ran like a sewing machine. Last October I had a mild stroke.... But it put me out of commission until this past summer. Then with the kids sports, weekend travel etc, I HAVE NOT DRIVEN THE CAR, LET ALONE start it.
It has about a 1/4 of tank of gas. When my father rebuilt the flathead he did so that it could run on today's ethanol gas.
However, I am concerned about the gas that is in it? Should I try and drain it out? Put fresh gas in? Could I just add some fuel stabilizer to the gas that is in it?
Also... What about oiling the cylinders? Should I take all the plugs out.... Dab some oil and replace?
The battery... As I found out the hard way is positive earth. So I want to put the red clamp on the 6 volt charger to the negative pole, correct? If the battery is completely dead, where would I find a 6 volt battery outside of ordering from a company in Hemmings and paying an exhorbanat shipping fee. He has a 6 volt gel battery encased in an OEM ford battery box so it looks authentic.
I know I am digressing.... But essentially what should I do before I try and start/ run the car ? Any input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.
regards,
Rick Aufderheide

MG    -- 11-09-2015 @ 12:38 PM
  Rickauf said: "So I want to put the red clamp on the 6 volt charger to the negative pole, correct?"

NO! The red clamp from the battery charger is 'positive' and therefore goes to the positive terminal of the battery - positive to positive and negative to negative is the rule when charging batteries....

Sounds as though you have a Optima battery (the best) in that Ford script case. I'd try to recharge it before seeking out a new battery. There is a procedure to recharge a completely dead Optima battery by hooking up a good 6 volt battery in parallel with it and then applying the charger. Many vendors on eBay sell batteries with free shipping.

With only 1/4 of fuel in the tank, you might be able to get away with just filling the tank with fresh gas.

Some Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinders is a good idea.

That's a beautiful car by the way....

This message was edited by MG on 11-9-15 @ 12:56 PM

Rickauf    -- 11-09-2015 @ 1:22 PM
  thank you. some MMO down the cylinders, i assume?

MG    -- 11-09-2015 @ 1:28 PM
  "some MMO down the cylinders, i assume?" - YES....

trjford8    -- 11-09-2015 @ 1:35 PM
  A very nice rare Mercury. I would put some Stabil in the tank and then add 5 gallons of new gas. Try to find gas without ethanol if possible. Also get a can of starting fluid to help get it started without too much wear and tear on the battery.

Rickauf    -- 11-09-2015 @ 2:32 PM
  will do!

MGG    -- 11-10-2015 @ 4:00 AM
  I kept adding stabilized non-ethanol gas to my tank for about a year after recommissioning the engine. I averaged a drive about once a week. Eventually I had a running problem in which the engine would sputter and stall but then would start again after waiting about 5 minutes. Finally I drained out all of the gas and put in new gas that I treated with HEET to get rid of any moisture in the system. Problem gone!

TomO    -- 11-10-2015 @ 7:05 AM
  Your Mercury is a very nice car. I saw it at Dearborn a few years ago and had a nice talk with your father. He was rightfully proud of his restoration.

If the gas is more than 1 year old or you did not add a stabilizer to the tank, you will be much better off by draining the fuel in the tank ans disposing of it safely. Fuel stabilizer will not restore gas that has deteriorated, it just prolongs the time for the gas to deteriorate.

If you disconnected the battery before you stored the car, it may still have a charge. If you did not disconnect it, the clock has probably drained it completely and you will not be able to bring it back to full charge. Depending on how long it has been completely discharged, you will probably be able to bring it back to enough of a charge to start the car.

To charge your battery use a charger that delivers a maximum of 10 amps. Here is a link to the Optima site about battery charging. Scroll down to the bottom for the 6 Volt, Red Top battery instructions.

If your battery is completely dead, you can order a new Optima from Amazon for less than $120 including shipping.

If the engine is free, pouring any oil into the cylinders will not help anything. I would use a marine fogging oil before storing the car again.

I hope to see your car out on the road again with you behind the steering wheel and a big smile on your face.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-10-15 @ 7:06 AM

Rickauf    -- 11-13-2015 @ 5:36 PM
  Thanks for all the info and kind words. The car was my dad's pride and joy. He purchased it as a basket case.... Same year I was born in 66. Between sending us to private school.. Taking me to all my football wrestling lacrosse practices and games.... and the fact he usually had to work on a lot of Saturdays..... He just never had the time or money to restore it. It was only when I graduated college that he had enough funds to get the restoration done. He got to enjoy it for a good 10 years.... I want to keep it in the pristine condition and not mess anything up. There was a nice article in the v8 times about the cars 'saga' thru the years last fall or summer.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9132