Topic: Ignition break off bolt

engine    -- 11-07-2015 @ 2:39 PM
  How is the break off bolt removed on a 1941 Ford ignition system? Is it just the opposite to reinstall it?

40 Coupe    -- 11-08-2015 @ 4:21 AM
  There are two. One holds the column drop to the dash board. One holds the outer steering column to the column drop. Lube with penetrating oil and try to get locking plyers (Vise Grips) on the head of the one holding the column to the dash. For the outer steering column drill and use an Easy-Out, best done out of the car because it has to be drilled straight into the bolt only. You can purchase replacements from most of the aftermarket Ford parts houses. Tighten until the head breaks off, or you can grind slightly into the area where the head will break off and get less torque until the head breaks off.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 11-8-15 @ 4:22 AM

engine    -- 11-08-2015 @ 8:42 AM
  I may be confused here, the bolt I am referring to is the one that keeps the steering wheel locked in place when the ignition key is in the locked position. I am able to drop the steering wheel from the dash and I see the one on the left side if the drop. The replacement bolt has threads on it to screw into where it goes. Where exactly does this one go?

40 Coupe    -- 11-09-2015 @ 4:40 AM
  when the ignition key is placed in the lock position a large mechanism is moved toward the inner steering column. The mechanism has a spring loaded center pin the pin can enter a lock collar slot. The collar is held to the inner steering column by two small special set screws. There are no bolts with heads that break off in this area. There are only two bolts with heads that break off around the steering column drop and ignition switch, this is explained above, both are 5/16-24 thread. Maybe if you could post a photo or look in your Ford chassis parts book.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 11-9-15 @ 4:41 AM

mrtexas    -- 11-09-2015 @ 7:49 AM
  Or you can leave the break off bolt head on there. Really no reason to break it off in this day and age. Think any car thief would know about it anyway? I left the bolt head on.

engine    -- 11-09-2015 @ 10:42 AM
  O.K. I will look into that. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9128