Topic: "35 Ford Noise on Right Turn

zippo    -- 11-07-2015 @ 11:01 AM
  Any thoughts on what may be causing a scrubbing noise on the front right wheel when taking a sharp right turn?

len47merc    -- 11-07-2015 @ 1:25 PM
  Initial, keep it simple thoughts -

With the car on the ground and rolling slowly with the wheels turned fully to the right: 1) Check the rear inner side of the right front tire's pie crust for rubbing against the inner wheel well sheet metal (slight bends/deformations in this part can create interference with the tire), 2) Check the front outer side of the right front tire's pie crust for rubbing against the fender (fender may have been slightly pushed in sometime in its history, or the rolled inner lip of the fender may be been bent inward and/or down), 3) For both 1 & 2, these must be checked with the car on the ground, rolling slowly and turned fully to the right (i.e., 2 people required - 1 driving the car and 1 checking for a tire rub). Many times a tire may be rubbing in either location that will not show itself by simply jacking up the car and rotating the wheel - the pressures of weight and sheer must be present on the tire to create the rub, and 4) Additionally check to see if you are running the correct size tire for the car.

Once the source of the rub is located, if a bend or deformation somewhere in the wheel well sheet metal or the fender is not found, you may then have to check and ensure your wheel bearings are properly adjusted and not loose, your king pins are not worn and have minimal/acceptable levels of play/tolerance, your steering linkage is in overall good working condition and/or the axle is not bent. Wear and/or incorrect adjustment in one or more of these front end components may be allowing the wheel to roll outside of its designed operating zone.

If you have access to a GoPro camera with a strong magnetic or mechanical base, these can be very helpful in viewing these potential right front wheel-rub areas if you do not have a helper or the rub only shows itself at speed.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 11-7-15 @ 1:42 PM

6lucky13    -- 11-07-2015 @ 1:42 PM
  Wow...dumb question but what is the "tire's pie crust?"

BTW I have this problem on a '36 when I have the wheels turned right and depress the brakes during a stop.

Kerry

len47merc    -- 11-07-2015 @ 1:49 PM
  'Pie crust' is a bias-ply tire's corrugated-like outer-side surface on the right and left sides of the tire next to the tread. It is the outer part of the sidewall that looks like mama's Thanksgiving pumpkin pie's crust.

Steve

6lucky13    -- 11-07-2015 @ 1:59 PM
  Thanks!. Live and learn! Understood!

ford38v8    -- 11-07-2015 @ 3:07 PM
  Steve, No camera or second person needed. If the tire rubs at all, it will rub a shiny spot at that location in short order.

Another possible cause not previously stated is the drum flexing and rubbing on the backing plate.

Alan

len47merc    -- 11-08-2015 @ 6:15 AM
  Alan - in general I agree with you though my experience with the '47 had me going this route. I experienced a rub on the rear inside of my left front wheel that only showed itself when backing into the garage with the wheels turned fully to the left. Given it happened so infrequently and at such slow speeds no 'shiny spot' was easily seen that revealed the rub. Only when you held a flashlight at just the right angle, held your mouth the right way, Venus/Mars/Jupiter were aligned and the wind was out of the SSE could you see it and even then it was very slight compared to the sound it made. Basically the inner wheel well sheet metal had been slight bent out 40+ years or so ago and that coupled with the slightly taller 710s I am now running (versus the stock 650s) made a heck of a noise, again only while backing. With my son moving the car slowly and me watching the wheel I was able to quickly isolate the source of the sound to that one area and then the location of the rub was easier to locate.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9126