Topic: Rich fuel

flatfoot    -- 11-03-2015 @ 7:50 AM
  I smell fuel after I parked in the garage. My wife has said that she could smell fuel following behind me on the road. The car is '36 fordor sdn with '37 motor and '36 heads. I have cleaned & regapped the plugs. The car runs really good. It starts almost instantly. Carb is "97" and I noticed some fuel sometimes on the intake manifold, but not much. Obviously, it is running rich. I use a lead fuel enhancer and burn 91 octane. How can I fix this problem?

This message was edited by flatfoot on 11-3-15 @ 7:51 AM

TomO    -- 11-03-2015 @ 8:04 AM
  You need to look carefully at every place that fuel could leak from your car. If your wife smelled it while following you down the road, you probably have a significant leak.

Tom

flatfoot    -- 11-03-2015 @ 5:11 PM
  It's not a leak she smells it is unburned fuel.

timcolr    -- 11-03-2015 @ 5:37 PM
  flatfoot, were the plugs black when you pulled them out or light gray? If they are black, it's running to rich. Check your float level in the carb, may be a little to high.
Just a thought!
Tim

1950 Fordor Deluxe 6

flatfoot    -- 11-04-2015 @ 9:12 AM
  Thank you, the plugs are black. I notice a smell of fuel on three of the plugs.k Not sure how to set the float?

ken ct.    -- 11-04-2015 @ 3:58 PM
  Being that I guess you better find someone who does know how. Set @ 1 7/16" with top upside down on bench. ken ct.

ken ct.    -- 11-04-2015 @ 5:14 PM
  Being that I guess you better find someone who does know how. Set @ 1 7/16" with top upside down on bench. ken ct.

40 Coupe    -- 11-05-2015 @ 3:41 PM
  No need for a fuel enhancer or 91 octane. 87 is fine and if you store your vehicle over the winter then some type of fuel life extender can be used. The Ford flathead came from the factory with hardened valve seats so lead additive is not needed. This is not your fuel odor problem. Do make sure the carburetor fuel float level is correct and if you have an electric fuel pump make sure the fuel pressure is between 2 to 2-1/2#. If your running a 97 make sure fuel is not leaking from any of the brass plugs in the body (even a drip). If you need assistance with the 97 Max Musgrove is the Stromberg tech check out Strombergs web site for contact.

40 Coupe    -- 11-05-2015 @ 3:42 PM
  No need for a fuel enhancer or 91 octane. 87 is fine and if you store your vehicle over the winter then some type of fuel life extender can be used. The Ford flathead came from the factory with hardened valve seats so lead additive is not needed. This is not your fuel odor problem. Do make sure the carburetor fuel float level is correct and if you have an electric fuel pump make sure the fuel pressure is between 2 to 2-1/2#. If your running a 97 make sure fuel is not leaking from any of the brass plugs in the body (even a drip). If you need assistance with the 97 Max Musgrove is the Stromberg tech check out Strombergs web site for contact.

silverchief    -- 11-06-2015 @ 2:55 PM
  40 Coupe

Both the brass plugs in the body of my 97 are wet where they meet the body, but no discernible drip. I tried to remove them for a look see but couldn't budge either. My 46 starts and runs great with no issues - but when I remove the plugs for cleaning they are always black with soot. I am reluctant to mess with the float level because of nice performance otherwise.
What do you think?

ford38v8    -- 11-06-2015 @ 6:52 PM
  Silverchief.... I think you should take off the 97 and put on a 94 like a good '46 should.

Alan

6lucky13    -- 11-07-2015 @ 1:37 PM
  Flatfoot,

you"re problem may be with the float setting but note TomO's suggestion to look at all places where fuel could leak. I had same problem of fuel smell when I garaged my '36. Traced it to a leak on a fitting where the previous owner cut the line to install a fuel filter on the frame rail and pieced together the line.

silverchief    -- 11-07-2015 @ 4:39 PM

Sorry - it is a 94.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9118