Topic: 1940 Ford Steering Box

whitfield    -- 11-02-2015 @ 4:00 PM
  I have disassembled the steering gear box and I am in the process of inspecting everything. I don’t see any pitting or scratches in the worm gear, the bearings, the bearing cups or the bushings. Does anyone have an opinion if I should replace any of these or simply clean them up, repack the bearings and re-assemble? Any tips on cleaning the bearings before I repack them with grease?
Thanks,
Eric

40 Coupe    -- 11-02-2015 @ 4:53 PM
  Clean everything with K-1 or cleaner of your choice and re-inspect if AOK reassemble without any grease. The box gets filled with Heavy gear OIL (EP Type). See the filler plug. SAE 90 for all seasons or SAE 140 for summer See NAPA Sta-Lube SL 24238 good for the steering trans and differential.

whitfield    -- 11-03-2015 @ 9:57 AM
  40 Coupe - really appreciate your guidance on this and the other questions I posted.

Thanks
Eric

whitfield    -- 11-16-2015 @ 10:37 AM
  One more question. The inside of the gear box has a tar-like coating. The coating looks ok. I know I got some dirt in the box during disassembly. What is the best way to clean the inside of the gear box? Is the K-1 ok or would that ruin the coating?

Thanks
Eric

40 Coupe    -- 11-17-2015 @ 4:16 PM
  Ford did not use a special coating inside the steering box. They are natural cast iron. the deposits may be from the old oil. Clean it all out.

whitfield    -- 11-17-2015 @ 7:38 PM
  Thank you again.

whitfield    -- 12-07-2015 @ 1:56 PM
  Alright. I got everything clean and prepping for re-assembly. Attached is a pic of a new sector shaft seal. Within the seal housing The rubber seal is offset to one side. I assume I should insert the sector shaft seal so that the internal rubber seal is on the inside of the gearbox as opposed to the outer side. Does that makes sense?

Also, I was planning to put some oil on the internal rubber seal. Should I put anything on the outside of the sector shaft seal before I insert it into the gearbox?

Thanks
Eric

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9117