Topic: New Floor mat -- gas pedal

nelsb01    -- 11-02-2015 @ 3:46 PM
  1949 Ford Custom Fordor.
OK.........my 65 year old original gray floor mat finally gave up the ghost after the 96 degree temps driving to the 2015 Black Hills National Driving Tour. Ordered a replacement from Dennis Carpenter and although it is Black and not Gray, it is very nice. The question is: gas pedal base....mounts under the mat, or over the mat? Could not tell from the original, although I could believe that it mounted under the mat with a slit for it. The replacement mat has holes for the highbeam switch, clutch and brake pedals, and fuel feed at top of gas pedal, but nothing for the base.
Anyone have thoughts? Still nice here in MN, so trying to finish as much as I can before the bottom drops out.

joe b    -- 11-03-2015 @ 7:39 AM
  nels, I just put a new mat in my '41. I put the base under the mat. The one I replaced was done that way.

nelsb01    -- 11-03-2015 @ 11:34 AM
  Thanks Joe.
That is what I was thinking. The speed screws that go in the bottom of the gas pedal would not be long enough for the backing and the mat.
Just a little more cutting to do then.
Thanks again.

nelsb01    -- 11-03-2015 @ 4:12 PM
  Follow-up for those that may or will be installing a reproduction front floor mat in the future:
The floor mat is easy to work with and had punchouts for high beam button, clutch and brake shafts, and gas pedal linkage. The underlayment is just small enough that it does not interfer with being under the new mat. There will be a little trimming that maybe needed to be done on the driver's side, but it is easy to determine how much needs to be trimmed.
Using the speed nut holes, you can use an ice pick to punch holes from beneath the vehicle for the holes for the gas pedal. Once the holes are punched through the underlayment and floor mat, I then used the base of the gas pedal to mark the area that needed to be cut out so that the gas pedal could be mounted abd fit with the new mat. The gas pedal mounting also makes the floor mat position stay in place on the driver's side.
If you need a new floor mat, it is pretty easy to install and takes about 3 hours to get it installed.
Hope this information will help some else down the road.

Additional information: It really is quieter in the car now with the mat insulation and new mat.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 11-4-15 @ 1:29 PM

joe b    -- 11-04-2015 @ 12:30 PM
  By the way. Does the mat fasten anywhere near the front near the fire wall? Mine wore and was tearing by the brake and clutch pedals,dimmer etc.

nelsb01    -- 11-04-2015 @ 1:28 PM
  Sadly no. It will fit underneath the upper cardboard. Mine was already cracking at the crease below the clutch and brake area. It really looked like 'gravity' was taking over and it was just dropping down to the floor, so I too had cracks at the brake and clutch pedal openings.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9116