Topic: Adjusting Mirrors

Dave in WY    -- 10-31-2015 @ 4:09 PM
  I got this info several years ago, and I was just reading a post on the 40 side about Swan Mirrors. This jogged my memory and I wanted to share this info with you guys. I use it and it works with my 40 and on my 06 Charger. I don't know who wrote this, but I think it's worth sharing. I hope this might help prevent a wreck.
Dave

Some of the most serious preventable accidents occur because of blind spots while driving! Now there is a remarkable simple solution discovered by an engineer named George Platter. He presented his method at the prestigious Society of Automotive Engineers.

The National Safety Council tested his theory and discovered, to their amazement, that it works! The method has been fully endorsed by the National Safety Council as described in their September/October issue
of Traffic Safety. Here's how it works.

First, forget how we learned to adjust our outside mirrors by plopping behind the steering wheel and turning the mirrors so that we just saw the side of our car looking back at us in the mirrors.
Instead, adjust the driver's side mirror by resting your head against the driver's side window and then turning the mirror so that you just see the side of your car.
Once this is set, move to the center of the vehicle and turn the passenger side mirror so that you can just see the side of your car from the center of the vehicle.

That's it. You won't see your own car in either mirror, yet what you will see is far better. Cars behind you show up as usual in the inside rear-view mirror above the dash, but the instant the car leaves your field of vision from the rear-view mirror the outside mirror picks it up. No blind spot; no delays; no wondering where that car about to pass you has disappeared to, and no waiting a few seconds for the car that you just saw in your rear-view mirror to show up in your outside mirrors.
All three mirrors work in harmony with one another, and the blind spot has been eliminated!

MG    -- 10-31-2015 @ 4:30 PM
  Dave,

You should post this topic on the 'Ford Barn' site at http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
as well. It's a shame, but there will be more exposure/discussion/feedback on this topic at that site.

This message was edited by MG on 10-31-15 @ 4:32 PM

nelsb01    -- 11-01-2015 @ 6:56 AM
  Dave;
Been doing this with my modern cars since 1993. Why do you have to view your own car? You should already know where it is -- you are driving it!
Yes, it takes a few times to learn how to use the mirrors this way -- but like it says, it is far better for your driving skills.

4dFordSC    -- 11-01-2015 @ 1:45 PM
  By "just see," do you mean "only see" or "barely see"?

Also, IMHO nothing can help the 1940 passenger side "swan mirror":-(

TonyM    -- 11-01-2015 @ 3:36 PM
  I drove trucks for years as young man. Part of the reason for seeing your own vehicle in the side rear view mirrors has to do with needing a point of reference. You especially need this point of reference when pulling trailers. As a truck driver, I would adjust my mirrors so that the very back edge of the vehicle/trailer was just visible in the extreme inner edge of the mirror--just enough to know it was there. This is used as a point of reference for backing up your rig. You want to know where your back end is. When backing up, if the trailer starts to fill the mirror, steer that way so to keep straight.

This is not a problem with our Fords. Not many of us pull trailers with our old Fords (some do though). But I think the whole thing with some folks having the vehicle side in the mirror is to help as a point of reference (rather than just seeing plain sky and road side). I adjusted my mirrors so that the blind spots are covered (by using another vehicle as a sight reference) and positioned in such a manner so that if I move my head laterally while looking in the mirror that will bring me to the point of reference (the extreme back edge of the car). Again, I adjust my mirrors mostly to cover the any blind spot. My whole point of view on this matter is heavily influenced by my time as a pro trucker. When you drive a truck/trailer combo, you really need those mirrors. I have my car mirrors adjusted so I can get the maximum use out of them.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 11-1-15 @ 9:41 PM

fortyford    -- 11-02-2015 @ 4:42 AM
  Nothing will help the passenger side mirror on a 40 Ford.The mirror is totally useless!I am talking about the swan mirror of course.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-02-2015 @ 8:56 AM
  fortyford is correct. I have a '46 Station Wagon and it is impossible to see a passenger side swan mirror from the drivers seat.

Dave in WY    -- 11-02-2015 @ 5:02 PM
  I thought I had posted this on the Ford Barn, but found out I hadn't. Hmmmmm, this age thing snuck up on me faster than I thought. haha
Dave

Dave in WY    -- 11-02-2015 @ 5:10 PM
  fourtyford and woodiewagon46, I imagine you are so correct. I have the mirrors that come up off the door hinge on my 40, and it's almost useless, but adjusting the mirrors this way does help on the Interstate, where you can have cars on either side of you. I can see with my right mirror, but not that great. I used to have my wife check for me before I would pull back in the right lane, just to make sure.
Dave

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9111