Topic: Trouble Shooting

dankerus    -- 10-26-2015 @ 4:55 AM
  I recently inherited a 35 Ford and found I am not getting spark at the plug. Thinking to inspect points, etc but am a bit cautious about removing the distributor which is not Ford stock. I sense I must remove the part to identify manufacturer, etc. I have found instructions to remove a stock distributor but nothing regarding re-installation. As I recall from years ago working with GM, re-installation typically results in being 180' degrees out. Not being as familiar with old Ford's at this point I hope to proceed carefully. Any recommendations to getting this car out of the garage again is most appreciated.

4dFordSC    -- 10-26-2015 @ 5:08 AM
  There is an offset tang on the end of the camshaft that aligns with a similar tang on the distributor. The distributor can only be installed when turned to the correct position, thus preserving the timing. Be sure it is correctly aligned before tightening the bolts to avoid breaking the bolt ears. Hope this helps.

ken ct.    -- 10-26-2015 @ 5:14 AM
  Well what does the dist. look like if as you say its NOT stock ?? Pic would be very helpful. Stock would have a domed coil with 3 screws holding it down.Have 2 dist. caps on each side. Their all driven off the cam shaft with an off set tounge it must be reinstalled with the offset matching the cam slot also off set. You will break the alum. housing on startup if in wrong.You may be better off sending it out to repair rather than attemting to diys. ken ct.Their not difficult if you've done many before. ken

dankerus    -- 10-27-2015 @ 4:20 AM
  Thank you, I thought I did recall that a Ford distributor in this area could only be installed in one position but wasn't sure if I was remembering the wrong manufacturer. I appreciate your sharing this with me.

dankerus    -- 10-27-2015 @ 4:25 AM
  The distributor looks like a typical GM style, definitively not like the characteristic original Ford part which I hope to obtain eventually for the car. Lighting is poor, I'll try to share some pictures as time moves on.

I also inherited three other early Ford V8's and have found that my 50 is also not getting spark despite the fact both cars where running fine just a few months ago. Hoping my luck holds better as I get my hands into the last two cars on the "Get em going again" laundry list

cliftford    -- 10-27-2015 @ 8:21 AM
  It sounds like your'35 has a later, '49 or up engine.In that case, the distributor installs the same as a GM or Mopar engine of that era. Line up the timing mark with #1 cyl at the top of the compression stroke and install the dist. so that the rotor points to #1 wire. Then set timing with a timing light.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9101