Topic: Shifting gears on 39 ford sedsn

hlw39del    -- 10-16-2015 @ 6:39 PM
  Up shifting is smooth and effortless , but downshifting from 3rd to second is impossible unless I get down to about 5mph. Then it slides in easily. There is no clashing of gears, but the lever just won't go to the 2nd gear position. He feels like it hits a stop. This is a problem if the speed in 3rd becomes to low, such as on a hill or turning a corner. Is this normal ? A friend who has a Model A said it may be necessary to double- clutch to make this downshift. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

40 Coupe    -- 10-17-2015 @ 3:58 AM
  It should downshift into 2nd as smooth as upshifting. I suspect a problem with the syncro hub and it's outer sleeve, once in third does not want to move back to second. suggest you remove the top of the transmission and see where and how things appear when in 3rd gear. Do look over the shifting mechanism also. It is possible the problem can only be revealed after disassembly. Does the shifter go back to neutral position after being in 3rd while trying to downshift?

hlw39del    -- 10-17-2015 @ 5:34 PM
  Thanks, 40 Coupe. It stays in neutral when it fails to downshift into 2nd. until I put in back into 3rd. It returns smoothly into 3rd.
Today I found that it does indeed shift smoothly 3rd. to 2nd. if I double clutch it and rev the engine. I guess I will continue to drive it this way for now while I address some more urgent problems ( low charge rate, windshield wiper motor rebuild ).
Is it possible that a heavier or lighter trans. fluid might help the synchronizer ? I'm not sure what weight oil the previous owner used.

alanwoodieman    -- 10-17-2015 @ 5:36 PM
  these trans are a little hard to down shift but you might try revving it up before down shift, this seems to help with my 1/2 ton floor shift trans going inot 2nd

hlw39del    -- 10-17-2015 @ 5:40 PM
  Thanks, Alan. I'll try that.

40 Coupe    -- 10-18-2015 @ 4:34 AM
  if you decide to take the top off check how far the blocker rings engage the gears. If you can push the brass blocker ring all the way on to 2nd gear you have found the problem. There should be a gap at least a dime width or more. I believe the rings have to work harder on the downshift.

hlw39del    -- 10-19-2015 @ 4:14 PM
  Thanks, 40 Coupe. I'll keep your input for future reference.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9083