Topic: 34 steering box

Superdave    -- 10-15-2015 @ 1:46 PM
  My next project may be to rebuild a steering box on a 34. Any words of advice? Like how to get the darned thing out of the car ! LOL.

40 Coupe    -- 10-16-2015 @ 2:50 AM
  The top bearing race is VERY hard to find. You may have to use the 1936 upper race, which is much thicker.

Superdave    -- 10-16-2015 @ 7:57 AM
  Got to see the car this morning. The steering box does not look like it can be removed with the engine "in place". I'm thinking I can remove the steering shaft and column then rebuild it "in place". Not fun, but neither is moving the engine! He has a box full of parts from Mac's. I hope they are decent repro's.

37 Coupe    -- 10-16-2015 @ 9:37 AM
  I kinda took note of this post because of something I heard just this week from a 34 Ford owner also first name Dave. I was told that steering box could not be removed without lifting engine out of the way. I found it hard to believe probably from always owning 37 and later Fords. Anyone have the most recommended steering box rebuilder? The guy who advertises in V8 Times? Lares is another one?

coup    -- 10-16-2015 @ 10:58 AM
  I was able to remove mine by removing the exhaust manifold.
coup

Superdave    -- 10-16-2015 @ 5:10 PM
  You may have something there. With the pitman arm off and the box unbolted from the frame, maybe I can tilt it enough to get it off. I'll give it a try Saturday..

Superdave    -- 10-18-2015 @ 2:57 AM
  Removing the manifold might have worked, but the manifold bolts are rusted and rounded off. I had no desire to start that project. I did manage to unbolt the engine mounts and jack the drivers side up with a jack under the oil pan flange.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Superdave    -- 10-19-2015 @ 3:23 PM
  For those that are following this thread. And might be contemplating rebuilding theirs... I thought I would follow through with how I did it.. First, I need to clarify that this is a June 1933 car, not A 34..
After removing the front and rear motor mount bolts, removing the steering jacket and starter switch. I used a floor jack and 4X4 block of wood to jack the left side of the engine a fraction! Was able to remove the steering box. I found the races and bearings for the worm gear to be in good condition and used them again. The bushings for the sector shaft required a lot of honing to get the shaft to fit. I had to get a machine shop to install the new worm gear. My 40 ton press would not do the job since it was not anchored to the floor. I was able to press the old one off. Even the machinist had to resort to an air hammer to get it in place.. Adjusting on the bench required a lot of shims to get the top and bottom bearings to load properly. Installing was a reverse of the removal. I had to use a pry bar as well as the jack, but was able to squeeze it into place. The end plate with the "tube" was defective, so I ordered one from Mac's . I didn't find it under early V8 parts, but it appears to be identical to a 29-32 Model A Ford.
Tomorrow I'll install the jacket. put the floor boards back etc etc..I can't install the STP until I get the new end plate. PHEW~!!! Glad that's done!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9080