Topic: 1936 Ford Aircleaner

Buckd44    -- 10-09-2015 @ 7:25 AM
  New member, first time post. I have an original 36 cabriolet, it was my grandfather's. Now that I have it, I have it up and running, (It was neglected for many years) my question is in the aircleaner, it looks to me it's a dry cleaner, without an oil bath?. Is there any kits, bolt on filter, retro mods, to make sure I'm getting clean air? Or what can I do with the existing filter to make sure she's getting clean air. I do want to keep it original. I can post a better picture tonight.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

This message was edited by Buckd44 on 10-9-15 @ 7:27 AM

ford38v8    -- 10-09-2015 @ 9:37 AM
  Nate, Welcome and glad you want to keep your Grandfathers Ford original! I can't really see enough of your air cleaner to know if it is the correct original for your '36, but if it is, there should be a copper mesh visible, likely pretty blackish from age now, that only needs a rinse and re-oil to freshen it up. They weren't intended to do more than keep out low flying planes and mice, so if you put in more stuff, it would choke down the intake too much. There was an oil bath cleaner available, almost never found on a passenger car unless used under dusty conditions frequently. Yes, lots of pictures please!

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 10-9-15 @ 9:37 AM

Buckd44    -- 10-09-2015 @ 10:37 AM
  Thanks, here's another picture.

ford38v8    -- 10-09-2015 @ 11:51 AM
  OK, I b believe that is the original. Mine is a '38, a little different than yours, but both use the copper mesh. More difficult to change on yours, but you can trplace it with new if you want. Use a Chore Boy copper scrubber. It has single spot weld holding it together, easy to open to a large single layer. Fold it and stuff it, then oil it.

Alan

drkbp    -- 10-09-2015 @ 1:02 PM
  Buckd44,

I agree with ford38v8 that you have the correct air cleaner. Same as my '35 Cabriolet. There is a small wing nut on top and there is the word "front" embossed on the body of the air cleaner to indicate the side facing the radiator. Take off the top and you can get to the mesh to oil it.

If you want to clean it or change the mesh, take the air cleaner off the car. There are two strips of hardware cloth with the copper mesh between them. Each strip is soldered to itself with one strip on the outer side showing as in your photo, the copper mesh next and the inner strip soldered to hold the mesh in place. Each strip is little more than "tacked" to itself with solder.

Undo the inner strip and fish it out the top and you can take the copper mesh out to clean/replace. Put it back in and oil it up. Put the top back on and you are ready to go.

Ken in Texas

Don Rogers    -- 10-10-2015 @ 7:22 AM
  There were 2 "hat type" oil bath air cleaners available for your 36. One was made by Donaldson and the other by United

Don Rogers    -- 10-10-2015 @ 7:26 AM
  Try again

Buckd44    -- 10-10-2015 @ 6:11 PM
  Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas. When you say oil the mesh filter. Do you use a spray lube/oil or engine oil? And how often do you clean and reapply oil.
Thanks in advance,
Nate

ford38v8    -- 10-10-2015 @ 6:18 PM
  It's not important, Motor oil in a squirt can will do. The purpose is to catch the dust, so just keep it damp with oil.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9061