Topic: Steering box removal

joe b    -- 10-06-2015 @ 8:34 AM
  My steering box is leaking. I had drained it and refilled it with Corn Head grease last year but it still leaks, or oozes. It appears to be only at the top where the filler is and 2 bolts hold a piece on.
I see a parts dealer offers a rebuilt box in exchange.
1. Should I just try gasket cement on the leaking piece.
2. Should Ijust put in another box.
3. Where can I find instructions for removal/re installation.
I have had the '41 Ford for 16 years and have no idea the condition of the box.

37 Coupe    -- 10-06-2015 @ 5:30 PM
  I would do whatever I could to fix the leak and keep the steering box you have which is probably an original one. I would be afraid of any rebuilding services or exchanges for one reason.What is the quality of the parts in the exchange box?,bet China made metal if worm gear and steering gear is replaced.If you can find Genuine Ford NOS parts that would be the way to go or some streetrodder removing a nice unit from a restored or low mileage car.Thats the way I have found better ones. Also I use STP in my steering boxes. The problem leaking in these boxes is usually at the bottom. The plate you refer to with the filler plug requires a gasket and four screws I believe,mayby you have a Columbia control valve and cannot see four screws? You don't need to remove or trade in your steering box.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 10-6-15 @ 7:24 PM

joe b    -- 10-07-2015 @ 6:31 AM
  37, That is kind of the way I was thinking. Sure don't want any more Communist Chinese in my old girl than it already has. Good idea about checking with street rodders. I am just going to remove the plate and make a gasket. Thanks for the ideas.

joe b    -- 10-13-2015 @ 8:28 AM
  Finally got around to removing the plate and made a new gasket from cork material. Have driven it about 150 miles to 2 car shows and there is no leakage. Just thought I would offer a follow up.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9050