Topic: Electric fuel pump

johnmyron    -- 09-30-2015 @ 10:09 PM
  Have run an airtex 6V fuel pump on my stock 47 sedan for 3000 miles and works great. Have had problems with same 12V pump on my 53 Sunliner. Engine will starve out occasionally. I pull over and will find the pump is puling hard-wait until it starts stroking out and the car starts right up. Has happened occasionally with two two pumps. Worst problem is it is very noisy intermittently-makes a lot of noise in the drivers seat. Any thoughts out there?

ford38v8    -- 09-30-2015 @ 10:47 PM
  John, You may have debris in the gas tank that intermittently clogs the pickup tube, a rust hole in the pickup tube itself, or a slightly loose fitting between the tank and pump that allows the pump to draw air rather than gas. If you have installed a fuel filter, it may be clogged. Also, fuel filters sometimes come with hose clamps in the package, which should always be discarded in favor of using worm drive hose clamps. You would never see fuel leaking from these sources, as they would always be in a negative pressure condition.

Alan

agriffey    -- 10-03-2015 @ 11:22 PM
  I have that same thing happen. It is usually when the fuel is about down to 1/4 tank.
I use only the good clamp$, has a clear plastic fuel filter and a newly cleaned out fuel tank.
I see absolutely no dirt of any kind in the fuel filter and I can run 60 + up a long hill with the pedal to the metal without a miss. But maybe going around the next slow corner or hitting a bump the fuel pump will just go crazy for a while. Like it is out of gas.
I have learned to ignore it.
I figure it is just trying to pull a bubble up the line.
That is another reason why the pump should be mounted right at the tank.
Mine is on the left frame rail by the steering column.
I have had it die a couple of times, but in both cases the tank was low.

ford38v8    -- 10-03-2015 @ 11:53 PM
  agriffey, I believe you are correct in the bubble theory, and may be due to a rust hole in your pickup tube inside the tank. Also correct in the best placement of the pump, while yours is far from the tank, that also can present with your described symptoms.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9039