Topic: milky oil on dip stick

j.grif    -- 09-27-2015 @ 3:46 PM
  recently put new rings in the 21 stud flat head and after first start ups the oil is foamy and white looking on the dip stick. The oil was clear before opening up the engine. Would guess that water is the problem. had no luck trying to find solutions for this problem in the history section. Going out to pull compression check for starters.Thanks

ford38v8    -- 09-27-2015 @ 5:15 PM
  Head gasket.

Alan

alanwoodieman    -- 09-28-2015 @ 1:08 PM
  leaky head gasket-re-torque the heads and change the oil. when torqued the first time did any bolt feel like it was not quite tight enough

David J    -- 09-28-2015 @ 3:46 PM
  Where can a 21 stud head gasket leak into the oil ?

I would guess it is one of the 4 expansion plugs on the pan rail .

supereal    -- 09-29-2015 @ 10:38 AM
  Could be a number of leaks. The last one we found in our shop was caused by a cylinder sleeve used to repair a cracked cylinder wall, probably from freezing. The crack had extended beyond and below the bottom of the sleeve. We found it by pressurizing the coolant system with a pump designed for the purpose that fits the radiator filler.

1934 Ford    -- 09-29-2015 @ 6:11 PM

David J got it right in my book. As Supereal said it's a lower end leak into the oil system.
Happened to my Boo Truck (35 Pickup) Water only got into oil when it got up to operating temperature. The cast plugs (That I call freeze plugs) were rusty and two new pennies in each one has worked for 26 years. They are on the bottom of the block and are covered by the pan on the 21 stud engines.

1934 Ford's since 1972

ford38v8    -- 09-29-2015 @ 8:58 PM
  David, what you said didn't register when I read it yesterday. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes! All I was thinking about was coolant going where it wasn't welcome! Yes, I agree, core plugs on the rail.

Alan

j.grif    -- 10-05-2015 @ 3:55 PM
  Replaced left head gasket on the 21 stud and clear oil for awhile, but back again.All cylinders about 80lbs and all plugs tips grey. So maybe it is the block plugs..Was wondering if the plugs can be replaced with engine in the car?? The purpose of pennys?? Maybe some kind of stop leak ?? Thanks for the help

David J    -- 10-05-2015 @ 5:07 PM
  You just need to take the pan off . They are 3/4" expansion plugs .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9022