Topic: Brake Hose??

Superdave    -- 09-27-2015 @ 2:50 PM
  I'm the lucky guy that was given the task of breathing life into this 39. With help, I have hooked up the Mallory ignition. Now the brake system.. There is a flex hose missing between the rear brakes and the master cylinder. The banjo fitting was missing from the MC but I was able to find one that works, but unable to connect with the rear bakes. What part number or source for the flex hose to the rear brakes? appears to be 1/4"
Thanks in advance!!! SuperDave

42wagon    -- 09-28-2015 @ 3:12 AM
  Dave
For the rear brakes there should be a steel tube from the master cylinder to a point on the frame over the rear axle drive shaft tube. At that point there is a short rubber hose to another steel tube that extends down the drive shaft and splits at the differential housing to run out to the two rear brakes.

If some or all of these parts are missing they are available either from the normal old Ford parts suppliers or you friendly local auto parts store.

I suspect that your vehicle may have been modified and who ever did it never got to the brakes. A Mallory ignition is not an original Ford item.

4dFordSC    -- 09-28-2015 @ 4:03 AM
  Rear Hydraulic Brake Hose, p/n 91A-2078-A. Mac's carries them.

Superdave    -- 09-28-2015 @ 5:19 AM
  Thanks Guys. This car went to a body shop to be restored. Probably running at the time. I have to mention that it is not originally correct. Still has the flat head V8, Finned heads' dual carbs, headers. It now has a one wire GM alternator, 12 volts, Halogen headlamps, rear LED's. Body was taken off the frame. looks like the engine was OH and put back in, but not much of any mechanical being done. Just lots of black paint. All the electrical was stripped as well as some of the brake system. All the brakes as well as the mechanicals should have been done with "body off". Sure would have been easier. (for me! LOL) The wiring that was removed did have some tags as to where they connect. Many did not. A new harness was provided. but there are a few differences. I have taken each system and figured it out, one at a time. No doubt I will be back asking more questions.
By the way.. It's a four door convertible!

agriffey    -- 10-03-2015 @ 11:32 PM
  If it has roll-up windows it is a Convertible Sedan. Last year, but Mercury had them in '40.
If it has no roll-up windows it is a phaeton.
Both are very desirable cars.

flatheadfan    -- 10-04-2015 @ 5:48 PM
  Dave-

Skip Mac's go to Brake Hose Unlimited (Holland, MI-616-836-7885). As for Nick. He can make you any hose, size and length with all-American materials. Guy is a real wizard and not a rip-off artist ($$). Tell him "Tom"(also of Holland), recommended him to you.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9021