Topic: Fuel problems in 48 Mercury with dual carbs

nelsonford    -- 09-23-2015 @ 10:29 AM
  Had problems with the car running a year ago. Just recently got it back together after rebuilding both carburetors, fuel pump,distributor (two, first was bad) and newly rebuilt coil from Skip Haney. Parts & help from Ken ct. I now have a good spark and carbs don't leak but when I started it yesterday (1st time) it ran as bad as it did a year ago. It runs as if it is cutting out/missing continuously but will rev up great. Plugs are foiled black. Carbs don't leak a drop but smells of fuel after shut down. I have 46 main jets and 45 power valves. The floats are set 1/16 lower. The gas is a year old and may or may not have ethanol and preservative. I would appreciate any help, thanks very much. Jeff

ken ct.    -- 09-23-2015 @ 1:01 PM
  I take it you mean 4.5 PV's. You could try .044 jets. If the jets came from me (don't chew up the slots) i'll trade you for the .046 ones you have you would need some gaskets to replace what you have to remove in doing so say $10 for the gaskets you would need. ken ct // 4 drain plug gaskets, 2 manifold ones, 2 middle ones to base, and 2 possibly for air horn top section if you drop one off the screw driver in the bowl lol. Possibly 10 gaskets in all. ken ct. If these jets came from me. Jets are a tapered seat (no gaskets needed) Don't laugh as I see this quite often.

nelsonford    -- 09-23-2015 @ 6:25 PM
  Hi Ken,,
What are my chances that is the problem. I think I had 42's before and it did the same thing but ran good before that.

Jeff

ken ct.    -- 09-24-2015 @ 4:57 AM
  If you had 042 in there and it did the same thing , then its not the jetting. I will call you later today to discuss it. ken ct.

TomO    -- 09-24-2015 @ 5:52 AM
  Before you spend more time trying to fix the problem, get rid of the year old gas and use fresh gas with a preservative. Old gas and carbon fouled plugs can cause a car to run bad.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 09-24-2015 @ 7:38 AM
  Yea Tom forgot to mention that fact. This cr*p gas will go bad in 3 mths not to mention 1 yr. Its got to be bad. thanks . ken ct.

MGG    -- 09-24-2015 @ 7:40 AM
  I recently had a similar running problem. I got rid of my year old gas and put in new treated gas. Presto! Problem gone. Runs like a champ.

joe b    -- 09-24-2015 @ 8:05 AM
  Same here guys. Car was in storage 8 months. Ran terrible. Got rid of the gas and all was fine. This was gas from Ca. which is "good for the environment." This was before I learned of the gas problems and Stabil.

nelsonford    -- 09-24-2015 @ 8:17 AM
  Thanks guys,
I was trying to get away with burning up the old gas but I will definitely drain it out and get a new set of plugs.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9004