Topic: Fuel Filter

Steves46    -- 03-06-2010 @ 5:57 AM
  Considering the harshness of today's fuel, I am thinking about installing a Fram G1 1/4 in. fuel filter between the carb and fuel pump. Although my fuel pump does have a glass bowl, I was thinking this would be one more added measure of protection before the fuel enters the carb. Will this create any performance problem? Thanks.

47Fordor    -- 03-06-2010 @ 6:07 AM
  IMOHO: other than the ethanol factor, the fuels that these old beasts were originally designed to burn was much harsher than what we have today. Since no filter will remove ethanol (don't we wish?!) I don't see the point but I can't see where a little more filtration would hurt.

Chris

47Fordor    -- 03-06-2010 @ 6:07 AM
  IMOHO: other than the ethanol factor, the fuels that these old beasts were originally designed to burn was much harsher than what we have today. Since no filter will remove ethanol (don't we wish?!) I don't see the point but I can't see where a little more filtration would hurt.

Chris

Steves46    -- 03-06-2010 @ 6:15 AM
  Thanks Chris. Good point but I was also concerned about the tiny rust particles (since I am using the original fuel tank).

4dFordSC    -- 03-06-2010 @ 7:03 AM
  IMHO, it would be safer to install it somewhere between the tank and the fuel pump. That way, should the filter ever leak, the pump will only suck air, rather than spew raw gas into the engine compartment. I have mine attached to the rear frame cross member between the tank and an auxiliary electric fuel pump. Hope this helps.

37 Coupe    -- 03-06-2010 @ 9:43 AM
  I have an electric fuel pump with the filter attached to it that I have wanted to install but hesitant. aside from cutting into a nice fuel line the pump is rated at 4-6.5 psi and I am using one of the new English Strombergs which warns to run no more than 3 psi. I have not found a good recommendation for a pressure regulator and have heard about bad China ones creating problems I do not have now.Could I get by with out a regulator if pump is just to be used as a backup? Or is there a source for a good regulator?

4dFordSC    -- 03-06-2010 @ 11:02 AM
  Since I'm running a Holley 4bbl, fuel pressure is not an issue. However, I see that Speedway sells a Low Pressure Regulator rated at 1-4 PSI. Perhaps someone else has used it, or can recommend another.

supereal    -- 03-06-2010 @ 11:44 AM
  We use the Airtex pump from C&G without a regulator, and have no problems. It comes as either a 6 or 12 volt model, $62 for 6, $58 for 12 volts. 11A-9350

ford38v8    -- 03-06-2010 @ 2:21 PM
  Steve, A modern plastic see-through filter is an excellent addition to your system, but I'd suggest that it be installed under the car near the gas tank. A flashlight will reveal if it it has captured any crud, and is easily replaced. Be sure to use only the worm screw type of hose clamp, as the clips they furnish with fuel filters allow air leaks.

Alan

37 Coupe    -- 03-06-2010 @ 4:38 PM
  Super this is the pump and filter I have,do you use the fittings that are supplied with rubber hose? Seems to me they are for 5/16 hose? Should have had this on last summer at least it would have gotten me off major highway I was on when mechanical pump quit.

supereal    -- 03-07-2010 @ 9:02 AM
  When we install an electric pump, or a filter, etc, we always use a barbed connector on each end, fuel proof hose, and worm style clamps. Without the barbs, it is easy to end up with an air leak. Most good parts places, such as NAPA, have them.

37 Coupe    -- 03-07-2010 @ 9:35 AM
  I understand what type of fittings to use but I cannot see how you could use what is supplied with the pump,hose i.d. and fittings are for 5/16 inch diameter fuel line and mine is 1/4". Steve I apologize for highjacking your original post but I beleive this is best way to install a filter,if you have to cut fuel line anyway may as well include the backup pump. I ran the clear plastic fuel filter between the carb and glass bowl fuel pump for a couple of years after the recommendation and actual insistance from a very well known carb rebuilder. Actually I never had anything that ended up in plastic filter it got caught in sediment bowl. I removed plastic filter last summer,just never thought it was safe.

TomO    -- 03-07-2010 @ 10:41 AM
  If you don't want to cut the fuel line from the tank, the next best place to install a filter would be in place of the flex line to the fuel pump. Rust particles will clog the valves in the fuel pump and cause just as much trouble as when they clog a opening in the carburetor.

Cut a short piece of 1/4" line and install a fitting to fit the input of the fuel pump. Flare the other end of the line and slip a rubber hose with the worm gear type clamps over the flare, connect the hose to the filter and another piece of fuel hose to the line from the tank. Use the worm gear type clamps on all connections.

This setup can be easily replaced with the flex line, when showing the car.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-08-2010 @ 6:47 AM
  Use 1/4 inch barbs if your fuel line is that diameter. The original quarter inch fuel line was just large enough to provide adequate quantity. Any restriction caused by rust, dirt, etc, will show up in poor starting and performance. It appears that the original copper coating in the steel line disintegrates over time, and moisture in alcohol-laced gas accelerates rust.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-10-2010 @ 6:21 AM
  hi
if you want a see though glass fuel filter, with replaceable elements try a local boat place,3 different sizes for different size fuel lines,
I would think if placed were it would not get hit by little stones would be better,

supereal    -- 03-10-2010 @ 7:33 AM
  When installing an electric pump, either as a main source, or as a back up/primer, it is important to know that these pumps are better "pushers" than "pullers", and should be located as close to the tank as possible. I've never had a plastic bodied filter break, but there a many metal-cased filters if you are concerned. Be sure that the electric supply to the pump is routed thru the ignition switch as a safety measure in case of a leak or collision. Modern cars use an "inertia" safety switch for that purpose to shutoff the pump when it senses a jolt. Perhaps someone will devise such an "add on" for old cars with electric pumps. When installing a pump for a booster, we use a spring loaded toggle switch to prevent inadvertently leaving the pump on.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=900