Topic: Alum. head removel 36

ken ct.    -- 09-20-2015 @ 6:38 AM
  Don't know what happened to my posting yesterday for same problem , doesn't appear in the new discussion list. Lifts up along the top but not at the bottom. Using MMO and PB blaster 1/8" up at top. ken ct.???????????

carcrazy    -- 09-20-2015 @ 12:34 PM
  There are several things you can try. If the engine is a runner, you can reinstall the cylinder head nuts loosely with the spark plugs removed and crank the engine to make sure no liquids are in the cylinders, next install the spark plugs and crank the engine with the starter motor to see if the compression will pop the heads loose all around. If the heads are still stuck to the block, you can connect the ignition system and try to start the engine, the compression caused by the combustion in the cylinders should loosen the heads.

oldford2    -- 09-22-2015 @ 4:29 PM
  Ken,
Did you ever try wood wedges as suggested in a previous post??
John

ken ct.    -- 09-22-2015 @ 4:56 PM
  John did you ever try to get a wedge under the bottom edge of the head , theirs about 2-3" between the head and the inner fender , theres no room to get one going in. Motor is still in the car !!. ken ct. Boy I cant believe how much help im getting from people on here.!!!!!!

1934 Ford    -- 09-22-2015 @ 5:57 PM
  ken ct. said "Boy I cant believe how much help I'm getting from people on here.!!!!!!"
We've all been there. Flat chisels and big straight screwdrivers work too. I guess that's why it's a good idea to get the head surfaced while it's off.
P. S. I need to do in an engine that's on the floor on a dolly and I wonder how far I'll have to chase it.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 09-23-2015 @ 8:18 AM
  Ken,

I did not chip in because the advice that you were given in your first post was good advice. You will just have to work the head off, little by little.

The head will not come off if it is cocked. You have the top edge up, so try to move the bottom edge up by prying at the front of the engine and by tapping the head with a soft mallet at the same time. As in all of these projects patience is the best tool.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8999