Bertha    -- 09-14-2015 @ 6:27 AM
  .....would you use?

No brainer here...

Bob

"it's only original once"

---

This message was edited by Bertha on 9-14-15 @ 6:28 AM

joe b    -- 09-14-2015 @ 8:43 AM
  Bertha, Not sure of your question. Neither of these filters look to be original. Both are reproductions.
If they are, then use them. (?)

Bertha    -- 09-17-2015 @ 4:16 AM
  I don't think there are a lot of NOS oil filters around or if their are would be useable?
The point is/was quality of what's now available.
A well known "Ford" supplier offering overseas cheep...and a National parts house, a product from a respected American company with a quality track record.
I recently purchased several parts from the 'cheep' supplier, none of which were worth the postage.

"it's only original once"

---

ken ct.    -- 09-17-2015 @ 4:59 AM
  NAPA has good quality filters for old Fords.There made by WIX for them. ken ct.

alanwoodieman    -- 09-17-2015 @ 5:49 AM
  carquest filter, if you look close it says WIX right on the box bottom right

ken ct.    -- 09-17-2015 @ 8:46 AM
  Whatever , their not hard to find ??? ken ct

Stroker    -- 09-17-2015 @ 3:17 PM
  For those of us older-than-dirt Ford folk; the "original" Fram filters were very primitive.
A metal can with a collection of cork and rubber gaskets, filled with cotton "waste", a by-product of cotton fabric production. These served us until the mid-fifties when the new, pleated paper media was introduced.

A few years ago, I provided 38FordV8 an article regarding the testing of contemporary engine oil filters. Alan made this article is available on the RG-1 website which may be sourced on this EV8CA site.

I have used many different filters over the years. Some, such as Purelator, AC's, Champion, NAPA, and the various re-branded ones sold by auto parts retailers such as CarQuet, etc. have been excellent.

WIX makes many of the re-branded filters, and in my opinion, are well engineered and constructed. That said, our filters are partial-flow, and sort of simply act as a waste trap. If they plug-up, the oil simply doesn't get filtered anymore. This is a lot less critical situation than in a modern engine.

So...I don't think this is a big issue. If somehow you were to find a cache of OEM Fram filters, my thinking would be "why not"?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8977