Topic: NAPA master cylinder leaks

fordv8j    -- 09-12-2015 @ 8:37 AM
  Just replaced the master cylinder on our 38 with a new NAPA unit..went to Motorfest 6..came home it was leaking..they will replace it...they are made overseas..anyone make a good rebuild kit...if the next one leaks..I may rebuild my old one..any one had this problem? THANKS

supereal    -- 09-12-2015 @ 11:30 AM
  Rebuilding is usually a waste of time. Getting a leaking cylinder is not unusual today. I'd let NAPA replace it. If the fluid is coming out around the boot, it is probably a bad bore. If it is coming from around the filler plug, the gasket may be torn or missing.

TomO    -- 09-13-2015 @ 7:58 AM
  I agree that in most cases rebuilding a master cylinder is a waste of time. most of them have deep rust pits and will leak soon after rebuilding due to the oversize bore needed to clean up the pits.

I have had good luck with the Wagner re-manufactured master cylinders. They seem to be much better than the ones made overseas.

Tom

FordFreak    -- 09-13-2015 @ 7:20 PM
  I just replaced the m/c on my '37 with a new (not rebuilt) Wagner that I got at Mac's . No leaks .

alanwoodieman    -- 09-15-2015 @ 8:24 AM
  if you happen to be using Dot 5 fluid (you should be) it will leak when dot 3 will not. I have pulled a new cylinder apart and honed it out to a smoother finish and re-installed the piston and they did not leak. It worked for me!

supereal    -- 09-15-2015 @ 8:14 PM
  DOT fluid is silicone based. It will not mix with the more common alcohol based DOT 3 fluid. To convert, all traces of the 3 must be removed. The system can be flushed with denatured alcohol, but we replace all the wheel cylinders and the master, and flush the lines only. Converting is a long and expensive process. Leaks, such as at the stoplight switch are common. I don't use it in my cars, preferring to simply replace the fluid every couple of years. That eliminates difficult bleeding and the usual "soft pedal" problems with DOT 5.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8974