Topic: u joint

vacaville john    -- 03-05-2010 @ 3:11 PM
  How do you put the grease in the u joint cavity? Does the grease fitting go on the top or bottom? This is in a 40 ford.

trjford8    -- 03-05-2010 @ 8:05 PM
  The fitting should go to the bottom where you can get to it with a gun. Use a grease with a low melting point and do not use synthetic grease. For additional information see the post titled "universal grease".

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-5-10 @ 8:07 PM

supereal    -- 03-06-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  As Tom says, the grease fitting on the u-joint housing is usually placed on the lower half of the cover. However, if you have the later, one piece, rear mount, it is usually difficult or impossible to get the grease gun on the fitting, and even special tips won't work. A simple solution is to put the half of the cover with the fitting on the top side. To grease it, you will have to unbolt the floorboard, but given the low need to refill the grease, it isn't a big chore. It is certainly better than neglecting the job altogether.

ford38v8    -- 03-06-2010 @ 2:25 PM
  A flex hose on the grease gun is useful for this fitting.

Alan

supereal    -- 03-07-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  I still couldn't reach the fitting, as the clearance between the zerk and the crossmember was too tight. I tried the special grease gun adapters we have, and decided flipping the cover was the best "fix". suppose some fittings and a hose could be rigged, but for a seldom used application, it just didn't seem necessary.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-07-2010 @ 9:41 AM
  I never had a problem with reaching the fitting as my gun has a hose between the body and jerk attachment.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-07-2010 @ 9:43 AM
  Make that a ZERK attachment. LOL

vacaville john    -- 03-07-2010 @ 4:57 PM
  Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my question. After putting the original transmission back in my car I had to remove it again due to a bad syncro. That's when I realized the universal was totally dry. I had installed a new seal, bearing,and bearing sleeve in the front of the torque tube thinking I had done a super job. I guess it wouldn't have lasted very long without lube.I had always thought the trans oil came through the back and lubed the u joint. I have ordered the corn head grease and after watching the video on it I am sold. I hope enough of it runs back to the torque tube bearing. I think those Ford boys were really smart back in 1940. Thanks again

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=897