Topic: Remove body from frame

dso72    -- 09-10-2015 @ 12:13 PM
  I would like to remove the body of the car from the frame. What is the best way to do this. The car is a cabriolet, do I need to reinforce the body sh*ll before removing it?
FYI...I do not have access to a lift.
Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 09-10-2015 @ 12:15 PM
  What year?

Charlie Stephens

kubes40    -- 09-10-2015 @ 3:25 PM
  I have restored to very high point status a number of open body models. I can tell you from that "hands on" experience, brace the body. And, when you think you have braced it enough, add some more.
It would help to know exactly why you are removing the body, its (the body) condition and whether or not the fenders, etc. are intended to stay attached to the body.
Regardless of the lack of information, here's an "outline" that will work well...

I prefer to use steel tubing when possible. Is this simply the body or is the interior intact?
If just the body, I would suggest two steel tubes between the left & right "B" pillars. One near the very top, one near the very bottom. Then, another between the left & right cowl - either between the area the dash would normally be fit or to the "A" pillar.
Then, hopefully you can picture this - an "X" brace that runs from the upper "A" pillar to the lower "B" pillar. Left to right and right to left.
I add yet another between each door opening near the top.
If you MUST (insist) on bolting this bracing in at the pillars, then please, for your sake, weld all of the tubes to each other once all is "in".
Also, if bolting, allow as little clearance in any hole as possible.
The bottom line is you want the "box" I have described to be RIGID!
You do not need a hoist. I typically have three friends stop by. Lift the front of the car up enough to place a 2" x 4" beneath it, left to right. Then, do the same at the rear.
then, one guy per end of the 2" x 4" boards and up and away. Try to set it down on a level surface.

MICHV8    -- 09-11-2015 @ 6:50 AM
  Kubes...
How was the body drop handled at the Rouge without the bracing?
Thanks!

woodiewagon46    -- 09-11-2015 @ 7:30 AM
  Every picture I have seen on Ford production line "body drops" shows a complete body, with the doors in the closed position. Kubes is 110% correct on bracing. At some point you are going to need to remove the doors, top etc. and with out bracing the body becomes very unstable. Why not take the precautions now, to avoid damaging the body, especially an open car with out a roof to strengthen it. Good tack welds will suffice you don't have to get crazy and weld extra tubing between all the bracing to form a rigid "truss". As Charlie asks, what year?

dso72    -- 09-11-2015 @ 9:10 AM
  Thanks for all the advice. The car is a 35 cabriolet. The interior and all sheet metal from the cowl forward has been removed. The top irons and doors are on the car. Should I remove the rear fenders?

My goal is to remove the body to do some frame repairs and to restore the drive train. The engine and transmission have been removed and rebuilt. Once the frame is restored and the drive train rebuilt, I will reinstall the body back on the frame.

The car has the original paint and top on the car. I want to preserve this but, I'm not able to preserve the the rest of the running gear for a Rouge class.

Kubes, If I leave the doors on do I need to brace near the door opening? As you had mentioned, you can't have enough bracing.
I would like to replace the windshield. What is the best way to remove it. Unfortunately the glass is de-laminated but, it still has the gas rationing stickers on it.

This message was edited by dso72 on 9-11-15 @ 9:35 AM

kubes40    -- 09-12-2015 @ 6:01 AM
  I would strongly advise bracing at the top of the door opening from the "A" pillar to the "B" pillar. If you are leaving the doors on, that makes this a bit tougher but still very doable.
I certainly appreciate the fact you are taking the time to repair the chassis as necessary. I have seen too many so called "restorations" wherein most things "unseen" are left "un-done". I congratulate you!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 09-12-2015 @ 11:38 AM
  My friend Mike has given you excellent advice, as usual. From experience, I can tell you that removing the body from the frame in an open car is a very tricky operation, and will require extensive shimming to get it back in place so doors will close and fit well and the top will work. We remove the fenders and doors, trunk lid, etc, and paint them as separate units at the direction of my fine painter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8969