Topic: 1934 Cabriolet steering column

jackoat    -- 09-09-2015 @ 10:02 AM
  I'd like to replace the upper rubber steering shaft bushing. I have the new one with the brass insert. Please advise me on how to remove the column and the bushing. Thanks.

TomO    -- 09-10-2015 @ 7:24 AM
  That is a great looking 34. I am jealous.

Tom

David J    -- 09-10-2015 @ 10:39 AM
  Couple options here . If the box is good and you only want to do the bushing the following will work .

Take the light switch off the bottom of the column and push the spider up and take the " c " clip out that holds the spider on . pull the spider and spring off and take out the two bolts that hold the bottom plate and tube assy . Once the plate and tube are out you are done there until reassembly .

Now take the four bolts out that hold the coulmn assy to the box . Your starter switch will be attached with the lower two . Disconnect the two wires from the ignition switch and take the two bolts out that hold the column drop to the dashboard .

Your floorboard will need to be out and now you can back the shaft worm column assy out .

You can pull the light switch - horn button out anytime after removing the " c " clip but it is not really in the way until you actually go to remove the steering wheel . The bottom plate-tube assy HAS TO BE OUT when you back the worm out or it will be smashed . Yes I learned this the hard way years ago .

Now you can operate on it on the bench . I use the bearing from the " Newport MN " source but yours should be fine .

This is pretty simple and easy and make sure you take pics and keep track of the gaskets on the column-box attachment as those are SHIMS for setting bearing pre-load .

If you have problems tell us . Dave

This message was edited by David J on 9-10-15 @ 10:41 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 09-10-2015 @ 11:26 AM
  I may be missing something here but isn't this the part that everyone is replacing with a roller bearing? Comments appreciated.

Charlie Stephens

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8966