Topic: Power valve

silverchief    -- 09-07-2015 @ 12:34 PM
  My 49 flathead has an original equipment Holley carb.
Would like to replace the power valve and its gasket.
Never done before - how do I proceed?

JT Ford    -- 09-07-2015 @ 12:46 PM
  The first thing you need to think about is: Do you have one that will work. Most of them that comes in a carb repair kit leak after installing because the valve is not made right and the gasket will not seal. The only one
that I am use will work is sold my Daytona Parts Co. in Florida. If you have a good new one its pretty easy to install.

MG    -- 09-07-2015 @ 1:04 PM
  silverchief - Hopefully, Ken ct. will chime in here....

cliftford    -- 09-07-2015 @ 1:40 PM
  Since you have to remove the carb. and partially disassemble it, I would do a complete rebuild while you're at it.

ken ct.    -- 09-07-2015 @ 4:21 PM
  I have the correct # 5.5 PV's.and special gasket for them if you need. COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CORN-GAS. mOST KITS HAVE #7.5 IN THEM. Mine come already in my USA made kits along with a leather accel. pump and an ole school ford script steel inlet needle an seat. No rubber products on the latter parts. ken ct. email or cell 1-203-260-5945

silverchief    -- 09-08-2015 @ 11:17 AM
  Are you sure I would have to remove the whole carb?
Couldn't I just remove the top half as if I was checking float level? Not lazy, but the carb is operating fine, and I was just thinking of replacing the valve and gasket as "it's probably about time" maintenance. Both have been in there about 15 years.

JT Ford    -- 09-08-2015 @ 1:39 PM
  The top half off will not get to the Power Valve. The PV is between the throttle body and the lower half of the carb. You will have to remove the complete unit and then you will be able to remove the throttle body from the bottom half of the carb. You should get a Ford Shop Manual (green in color) You can get one for about $30. on e-bay. Then you can see all the parts.........

ken ct.    -- 09-08-2015 @ 4:48 PM
  Don't do a half as*ed job on the carb,go through the whole thing with a good kit. ken ct.

TomO    -- 09-09-2015 @ 6:17 AM
  Bill, if the car is running fine, leave the carburetor alone. There have been many posts on this Forum about cars that ran fine and the owner wanted to rebuild the carburetor and now can't make it run right.

To replace the power valve and gasket, you have to separate the body of the carburetor from the base. There is no way that you can do this without removing the carburetor from the car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8956