Topic: Turning wide 5 drums

thirtysixford    -- 09-02-2015 @ 5:48 PM
  Have an Ammco brake lathe.

trying to come up with a way to chuck wide 5 rear drums into the machine.

If anyone I bet Supereal may know

ford38v8    -- 09-02-2015 @ 6:52 PM
  Speedway has an adapter available to bolt onto a wide 5, having multiple smaller bolt patterns.

Alan

thirtysixford    -- 09-02-2015 @ 7:01 PM
  Geez Alan, you always come though

Thanks again

pauls39coupe    -- 09-02-2015 @ 8:23 PM
  There is an AMMCO adapter that fits inside the bearing and registers against the drum locking it in place, so it can be turned. Sorry I do not know the part number.
The wide five adapters I have seen are used to balance tires not turn brakes.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-02-2015 @ 9:08 PM
  I may be out of touch but I thought you located the drum from the inside where the axle goes using a special adapter on the machine. Check with local clubs (including the Model A guys) and see if anyone in your area still has the set up.

Charlie Stephens

JM    -- 09-03-2015 @ 4:15 AM
  Turning the brake shoe contact area of the drum would not be done with the drum mounted on its lug nuts. The drum should be mounted on its centerline datum through spindle bearings or their mounting diameters. Paul and Charlie are correct.

Alan's adaptor plate suggestion would work great however for balancing a wide five wheel and tire assembly.

John

This message was edited by JM on 9-4-15 @ 6:04 AM

ford38v8    -- 09-03-2015 @ 7:57 AM
  John, Paul, & Charlie are right. Alan didn't come through!

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 09-03-2015 @ 9:08 AM
  If you put your general location in your post (and your profile) someone might know of a shop near to you with the adapter.

Charlie Stephens

Stroker    -- 09-03-2015 @ 2:04 PM
  There is some merit to torquing a plate in a wide-five drum regardless of how it mounts on the drum lathe. Drums are surprisingly "flexible", and just like using a boring plate on engine blocks, can benefit from being in their normal "loaded" shape during machining. I'm with Alan on this one.

ford38v8    -- 09-03-2015 @ 2:27 PM
  Thanks, Dan, and very much agree with the drum flexing comment. Can the adapter plate be used in conjunction with the AMMCO adapter? I'm at a loss because I've never watched a drum turning operation.

Alan

supereal    -- 09-03-2015 @ 2:33 PM
  We do it by using a wide bolt wheel as an adapter for our drum lathe. On most drums, it is important to use an anti vibration belt on the drum to make a clean cut. Carefully measure the inner diameter of the drum so you can determine if it has been cut previously. If it measures more than .060 above the 12 inches, it won't be safe on the vehicle. When drums got scarce and expensive, a lot of them were overcut.

thirtysixford    -- 09-03-2015 @ 4:44 PM
  Wow, a lot more replies than I would have expected.

I'm in Mission Viejo... So. California.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8933