Topic: Intake manifold gasket

ken ct.    -- 08-25-2015 @ 2:26 AM
  Is there some kind of spray or brush on stuff I can coat the gasket before installing.I had 2 days of scr*ping to get a black one from "Macs" off a while back. Installed a tan Fel-Pro one to replace it. Hope that one isn't the same way,i have to remove manifold again an use one that WONT stick ???? thanks for any help. ken ct PM or Email. OR answer here on forum would be the best way !!!.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 8-25-15 @ 5:11 AM

40 Coupe    -- 08-25-2015 @ 5:22 AM
  before installing the gasket rub a thin layer of chassis grease on both sides. It will soak into the material and prevent sticking.

ken ct.    -- 08-25-2015 @ 7:58 AM
  How about motor oil ,it would soak in faster than grease ???? any more suggestions Thanks coupe

JM    -- 08-25-2015 @ 7:04 PM
  Ken, I would suggest using a composite gasket from Best or Fel Pro and coat both sides with chassis grease as 40 coupe said. I don't think motor oil will work as well as grease. Torque to spec and retorque after engine runs to normal operating temp.and then cools down again.

John

JM    -- 08-25-2015 @ 7:06 PM

This message was edited by JM on 8-25-15 @ 7:07 PM

ken ct.    -- 08-25-2015 @ 11:19 PM
  JM I used a fel-pro last time I had it apart. Are the FP & best gaskets about the same quality. I can get a FP from NAPA in 1 day but a week or more for a best one????? ken ct thanks. Have it running but poorly with some stuck valves.Things are looking up for running again. ( this is in reference to a intake gasket ) the head gasket was a diff. question. I have some composite steel head gaskets is the grease thing apply to these gaskets also. With alum heads. Hoping I don't have to remove heads. I have access to a good pr of CI ones for my domed pistons if I break one or both of the alum ones.Hopefully I can free the valves by removing the intake and working through there. ken ct.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 8-25-15 @ 11:28 PM

JM    -- 08-27-2015 @ 8:41 AM
  Ken, I prefer Best Co gaskets, but Fel-Pro are also very good. Coat both sides of intake gasket with grease.
I would suggest copper coat on head gaskets instead of grease.
Maybe try some penetrating oil on valve stems and rotate the engine to help free stuck valves. Use some MMO in gas to help keep them free. Then drive the snot out of that '36 coupe!

John

ken ct.    -- 08-27-2015 @ 9:57 AM
  John not sure it would do any good as I have the intake off now and all head nuts are off. Have old tool putting up pressure from the plug holes wont budge still stuck.Letting sit till tomorrow that might let the PB blaster work its magic. Around studs are soaking and suirted around the upper edge of head. I would turn it over but not sure it would work (no intake on it) ken ct.

MG    -- 08-27-2015 @ 1:14 PM
  Ken,

I advise you to avoid using the 'steel' head gaskets you mentioned above. Last year I installed a set of steel head gaskets on my '34 with aluminum heads. I could never get them to seal properly. A set of Best GraphTite - Part Number 507G - head gaskets resolved this problem. See: http://www.bestgasket.com/pop_up_picture.asp?PartNumber=507G

This message was edited by MG on 8-27-15 @ 1:15 PM

40 Coupe    -- 08-28-2015 @ 4:28 AM
  I just took 2 weeks to remove one aluminum head. Take your time, avoid damage. A matched set of heads is hard to come by and aftermarkets are $$$. Lots of PB blaster, compressed air, up and back down until you find the correct angle off the studs.

ken ct.    -- 08-28-2015 @ 9:30 AM
  Thanks coupe. ken ct.

JM    -- 08-29-2015 @ 11:04 AM

This message was edited by JM on 8-29-15 @ 11:06 AM

ken ct.    -- 08-29-2015 @ 4:48 PM
  Its coming guys its up about 1/8" on the front and about 1/16" at the rear // moved the puller closer to the rear studs hoping to level it out. Thanks you John and all responders. ken ct.

oldford2    -- 08-30-2015 @ 9:33 AM
  Ken,
Now that you have it up a bit, make up a half dozen tapered hardwood shims 3" long and tapering from 1/8" to 3/8". Drive them in around the head to raise more. You may have to make a new set tapering 1/4" to 1/2" to keep it coming.
John

ken ct.    -- 08-30-2015 @ 2:14 PM
  Ive got shims under it alreadyalong the top ,none at the bottom got to see if bottom edge is coming up or just the top ?????????????? ken ct.

oldford2    -- 09-08-2015 @ 1:18 PM
  Ken,
Did you get the heads off? Find anything?
John

ken ct.    -- 09-08-2015 @ 3:48 PM
  Head has not come off yet. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8904