Topic: 1948 Ford shock absorbers

lmenefee    -- 08-21-2015 @ 3:52 PM
  My 48 Club Coupe came with Houdaille shcks from the factory. I have read that after Henry used them up they switched to airplane shocks during the model year. I had them rebuilt and am not satisfied with them. Would buying the conversion kits available and switching to the other shocks help?

shogun1940    -- 08-21-2015 @ 7:17 PM
  I did my 48 last year.. ihad to take out the axle to have the hole drilled in it .. I tried doing it on the car ,no good. I bought a set of after market top brakets ,, no good the bolt holes did not match the frame. I could use a new spring now.

TomO    -- 08-22-2015 @ 8:29 AM
  I could not tell you id the conversion would help, as you did not say what the problem is.

The shift to the airplane style shocks was done for cost purposes, not because they were any better than the Houdaille shocks.

The Houdaille shocks should work fine if rebuilt properly. When you remove the link and move the arm up and down, you should feel strong, equal resistance in both directions. If the rebuilder did not do a good job, send them back.

Tom

kubes40    -- 08-22-2015 @ 8:36 AM
  I am 100% with TomO on this. PROPERLY rebuilt shocks will work quite well on your '48.
Of course a good spring is a paramount necessity with proper shocks.
I see all too often worn springs and owners that just can't understand why the ride is not "good". A 70+ year old (used) spring is shot regardless of its appearance. No shock absorber will cover up the symptom of that worn out spring.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-22-2015 @ 11:06 AM
  Call me over cautious but I never liked drilling holes in front axles. I know it's done but I'm skeptical. Ford used basically the same design from 1928 thru '48 and they worked fine. Have yours rebuilt and you should be fine.

lmenefee    -- 08-22-2015 @ 1:28 PM
  Thank you all for the responses to my shock absorber situation. I know the 48 is 67 years old and also my 52 Fords have a different suspension. Worn springs could very well be part (or all) of it. I did a complete (several year) restoration on the 48 and had the shocks rebuilt by M & S in Oregon. I returned one to be redone and another shows some leaking. Other posts on shocks show some negative comments about M and S and that they are no longer in business.

TomO    -- 08-23-2015 @ 6:34 AM
  Read the responses to the "M&D shocks wanted" for a link to Bill Wrozek's web site. He has the best reputation on rebuilding the Houdaille shocks.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8895