Topic: Thanks Supereal and Ford38V8

37V8    -- 08-17-2015 @ 7:57 AM
  Thanks to Super and Alan for these posts and many others on mechanical brakes and their adjustment. I finally got my 37 stake's cable brakes to work with good pedal pressure. Not all that difficult really, once I understood the proper procedure. Only took me a year to figure it out...

Now to get rid of the molded brake shoe linings. Good pedal pressure now, but no grip on the hard molded linings that were installed. I have woven linings from C&G, just gotta find someplace to swap them out.

Big truck cable brakes:
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2546&keywords=Cable%20brakes

Brake adjustment:
http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5402&keywords=Cable%20brakes

ford38v8    -- 08-17-2015 @ 8:55 AM
  Glad to have been a help to you, and appreciative of the update!

Alan

37V8    -- 08-17-2015 @ 11:40 AM
  Yeah, it's been a 50 mph truck, with 25 mph brakes. About soiled myself on several occasions...
Bryan

ford38v8    -- 08-17-2015 @ 12:10 PM
  That's a beautiful truck, and I love the color! A couple things about the brakes you may not be aware of: The cross shaft has two settings, one for hard pedal, the other for soft pedal. Modern molded shoes are not like the good old asbestos shoes of years ago, having brass inclusions in them to make them last longer, makes for an inefficient braking system. There is an alternative, I think better than woven shoes, that being to send your shoes to an industrial friction products company, to get the original type molded shoes. Also, any molded shoe will require either a period to break in, or an initial contour match to the drums, which can be exteremely difficult to find nowadays due to the asbestos dust concerns. I'm sorry, I don't have an address for you, but google works well. The woven shoes will stop on a dime, and will skid if you're not careful, but they wear out very quickly. Ford switched from woven to molded early in 1937 for that reason, and of course that the cable brakes outclassed all previous rod brakes.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 8-17-15 @ 12:14 PM

37V8    -- 08-17-2015 @ 1:41 PM
  Alan,
Thanks for the additional info. I was not aware of the two different pedal settings. I'll have to look that cross shaft over.
Bryan

supereal    -- 08-18-2015 @ 6:33 AM
  I join my friend Alan in thanking you. It helps us all when advice is acknowledged so others can benefit. Alan and I have debated the trials and tribulations of maintaining cable brakes. He likes 'em, I don't. I do understand they can be as effective as rod type brakes, but if the cable housings are rusty, it is a real challenge. I used woven linings back in my Model A days, and I can see the need for a bonded material, if one can be found.

supereal    -- 08-18-2015 @ 6:34 AM
  I join my friend Alan in thanking you. It helps us all when advice is acknowledged so others can benefit. Alan and I have debated the trials and tribulations of maintaining cable brakes. He likes 'em, I don't. I do understand they can be as effective as rod type brakes, but if the cable housings are rusty, it is a real challenge. I used woven linings back in my Model A days, and I can see the need for a bonded material, if one can be found.

supereal    -- 08-18-2015 @ 6:34 AM

supereal    -- 08-18-2015 @ 6:35 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8871