Topic: 34 will not keep running

MGG    -- 08-15-2015 @ 12:30 PM
  My 34 V-8 quits shortly after warm-up which takes about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. This has consistently happened five times in a row now.
The engine starts on the first turn and runs like new until warm up.
I have kept it 6 volt, positive ground.
It has a new NAPA condenser.
It has a fairly new rebuilt Skip Haney coil.
It has a fairly new resistor.
It has new points about a year ago.
Today when it quit:
The coil was warm, not hot. The carb and fuel lines were warm. The resistor was cool. The switch terminals were cool.
It will re-start after a few minutes and run well enough to limp back to the garage. I have not taken it very far away from home recently, pending getting this problem resolved. Any body have any ideas?

thirtysixford    -- 08-15-2015 @ 2:41 PM
  you seem to have covered the ignition system, but when it quits have you checked for spark?.... my next guess would be fuel delivery system

JM    -- 08-15-2015 @ 6:19 PM
  I would suggest driving it again until it shuts down and then immediately check to see if you have spark and gas at the carburetor. If one of those two things are not happening you will know basically what you need to go after.
some other things to check would be:
1. Have the capacitor properly tested when cold and heated
2. Check the flexible gas hose that's connected between fuel pump and gas line for possible pin holes.
3. Make sure the gas line from firewall to gas tank is not obstructed
4. Wire wound ignition resistors will sometimes develope high resistance connections, where the ends are crimped to terminals, as they warm up. After you experiance a shutdown, temporarily jumper the resistor and see if it starts right back up again.
5. Check your gas cap to make sure the vent is not obstructed. Leave the cap off temporarily and see if problem is corrected.
6. I know Skip Haney does excellent work, but check the coil anyway at both cold and heated conditions.
7. Check the ignition switch internally to make sure you are not developing a high resistance connection at the contacts. A cool swich body does not necessarily mean all is okay.

Keep us posted on what you find.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8862