Topic: Dim Headlights

foto1man    -- 08-12-2015 @ 5:33 AM
  Hello everyone,

I noticed what seemed to be a burned out bulb in one of my headlights on my 35 Ford. I took the bucket apart and the light came on as I was taking it apart. The reflector is not making good contact with the bucket rim, it seems. Is the reflector part of the circuit? Do I clean up the bucket rim and the backside of the reflector rim to fix this? Has anyone else had a similar problem and how did you fix yours?

Thanks,
Kenneth

cliftford    -- 08-12-2015 @ 8:20 AM
  Hello, I'm not an expert on the bulb type headlights, but it sounds like you found your problem. Clean up the reflector and bucket and see what happens. I would do the same to the other headlight as well.

foto1man    -- 08-12-2015 @ 10:40 AM
  Thanks for the reply,

This is a 6 volt, positive ground system and I know the lights aren't the brightest in the world. I plan to do what you suggest to both headlights. Can anyone tell me if the reflector is part of the circuit?

Any thoughts,
Kenneth

CharlieStephens    -- 08-12-2015 @ 12:13 PM
  Short answer, yes. If the reflector was not part of the circuit how would the electrons that are brought in by the wires get out (ground)?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-12-15 @ 12:15 PM

fordv8j    -- 08-12-2015 @ 6:06 PM
  WHEN I RESTORED OUR 38 CONV.I WELDED A SMALL BOLT INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT BUCKET..BEHIND THE REFLECTOR...THEN SOLDERED A WIRE TO THE BACK EDGE OF THE REFLECTOR..TIGHTEN THE WIRE ON THE BOLT..NO MORE GROUNDING PROBLEMS..A LITTLE WORK AND WILL BURN PAINT ON BUCKET

supereal    -- 08-16-2015 @ 7:25 PM
  We install a new ground wire to each lamp as a matter of course. Power to high current lamps is mostly lost in its travel thru the light switch, dimmer switch, bad bullet connectors, and aging wiring. My '47 has halogen lamps, and I install a relay board to get full brightness. Now the original circuit operates the relays to apply full battery power, and the headlights are as bright as modern cars.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8846