Topic: Ignition help needed

nelsonford    -- 08-11-2015 @ 1:54 PM
  Hi guys,
I just re-built my distributer and mounted my newly rebuilt coil by Skip Haney and a new ignition resistor. I was doing a test from Skips instructions requiring turning the key on and left it on for about 30 seconds (too long). I noticed a little smoke coming from the terminal end to the ign resistor to battery position on the coil and turned off the key. I read somewhere this can happen if points are closed. Should I do a test of resistance on the coil (spec?) or check for burned points or just try starting the car?
Thanks, Jeff

MG    -- 08-11-2015 @ 2:55 PM
  What year is your car? Where did you get the resistor? I purchased a replacement resistor from NAPA and it smoked when I first applied voltage to it. Seems it had a coating of varnish on it that smoked when it heated up....

nelsonford    -- 08-11-2015 @ 4:23 PM
  It's a 48 Mercury and yes I bought the resister from Napa as well. I had the smoke at the connection I made to the resister. So did yours work out okay after it smoked?

Jeff

MG    -- 08-11-2015 @ 4:40 PM
  Jeff,

After the smoke, I decided not to use the NAPA resistor. I found a good NOS wire wound porcelain resistor and used it instead. This, just for peace of mind. I'm sure that the NAPA resistor would have worked after the "varnish" burned off but I elected to not wait and see. Why don't you "just try starting the car" and keep an eye on the resistor. I'm thinking the smoking will stop after a while....Ignition resistors get hot and stay hot while the engine is running....

nelsonford    -- 08-11-2015 @ 5:46 PM
  MG,

Thanks very much for the info. I will give it a try...let you know how I make out.

Jeff

supereal    -- 08-16-2015 @ 7:19 PM
  The Term "resistor" in old Fords is somewhat misleading. It is made of nichrome wire, such as in old toasters, wound on a ceramic tube. The purpose is to control system voltage to protect the coil and points. As system voltage increases, it heats up, increasing resistance. It gets very hot as it does the job, so be careful. Order a resistor from s reputable supplier. We use C&G.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8843