Topic: Need Spring Shackle Advice

tan35coupe    -- 08-11-2015 @ 4:00 AM
  I'd like to replace the spring shackle bushings on the front and rear springs of my '35 coupe. I have a spring spreader, but when I started the process I lost my nerve.

I jacked up the frame, attached the spreader and started to tighten, but couldn't detect any loosening of the shackles. When the spreader got really hard to turn, I stopped for fear I would damage something. Must admit I didn't have a very big wrench for turning the spreader nut.

Am I on the right track, or is there a trick?

Thanks

40 Coupe    -- 08-11-2015 @ 5:43 AM
  Beside placing jack stands under the frame place a pair under the axle, also block both sides of the front or rear wheels. With the spring shackle bars removed there is not much (shock links) going to support the differential or the front end.
When you extend the spring spreader place enough pressure to take the strain off of the shackle bars. If the spreader is too far extended it will place a contracting strain on the shackles making the bars on the two ends hard to come off. Once the nuts and bars are off you retract the spring spreader the spring will contract and you can see the movement.

ford38v8    -- 08-11-2015 @ 7:50 AM
  40 coupe has got it right. Read and completely understand his explanation before going any further.

Alan

tan35coupe    -- 08-12-2015 @ 4:09 AM
  Thanks.

The instructions for the spreader show supporting the spreader bar with a jack, or a 4x4, or other support. I guess that serves the same purpose as the jack stands under the axle?

The thing that bothers me is that if the weight of the frame spreads the spring, it seems there should be a sweet spot when you jack it up where there would be little or no pressure on the shackles.

40 Coupe    -- 08-12-2015 @ 4:40 AM
  Once the shackle bars are removed the spring is part of the frame and attached with the U-bolts in the center. Placing support under the spreader bar WILL NOT support the front or rear axle and it will drop suddenly and with FORCE. Place jack stands under the axle and the frame you are working on!
There are several good spring spreaders. All of them lock themselves in place because they exert force upon the small area of the spring just above the eyes. They can be somewhat awkward to hold in place and adjust until they lock in place. None of them require support once in place. If the one you have does require support you may be installing it incorrectly or it may be incorrect for the Ford application. You may want to have someone with more experience look over what your doing! You do not want to be injured!
The spring alone is slightly shorter than the distance between it's mounting points. So in order to mount the spring to the vehicle it has to be slightly stretched into place. So there is never a "Sweet spot" where the spring can be removed without a spreader.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 8-12-15 @ 4:58 AM

supereal    -- 08-16-2015 @ 7:31 PM
  While we prefer using a Port-A-Power tool, which can be rented, instead of a threaded spreader, you can also release the shackles with the car on the ground by placing a floor jack under the end of the spring to push up the spring. When ever you are working with leaf spring, use extreme care, as they can store lots of energy.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8842