Topic: 59 AB block in 34 Ford

Gene N.    -- 03-03-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  Putting a 59 AB block in 34 Ford with 39 tranny. Do I have to change water pumps for mounting if so, what pump? Exhaust manifold change it -- if so, to what other than headers? anything else? would like to hear from someone who has done it or has the know how? Thanks in advance -- Gene

carguy    -- 03-05-2010 @ 5:30 PM
  Bump. Because I'm interested in the answers also.

trjford8    -- 03-05-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  It's been a long time since I owned a 33-34,but this should be a fairly straight forward installation. First you use the stock 59AB water pump.You use the stock Ford "biscuit" rubber mount, but you will need a spacer between the "biscuit" and the water pump. These spacers are sold by Speedway Motors and are part # 135-3312. In the latest catalog they are $14.95 a pair. For the transmision you use the 34 Ford rear mount and bolt it to the 39 transmission. For the exhaust manifolds you should be able to use the stock 34 manifolds.

wmsteed    -- 03-06-2010 @ 6:23 AM
  The stock log type '34,35,36 exhaust manifolds are the easiest to use, they hug tight to the block and don't interfere with the steering gears. The left side'36 exhaust manifold has a "dip" to clear the oil dip stick... The earlier manifolds don't have this dip.
Hooking the upper radiator hose up can be done with long flex hoses or using short hoses with a metal tube between them.
The pix I have attached shows a 59 AB engine in a '36 Ford which is a very similar application to a '34.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Gene N.    -- 03-09-2010 @ 6:29 PM
  Are water pumps on 47 truck same as 47 cars
Also are 33 manifold from a 33 same as 34
Thanks

TomO    -- 03-10-2010 @ 9:09 AM
  From 1937 to 1948 the 24 stud block used water pumps that were interchangeable between the years. Truck water pumps for these engine will also interchange, the main difference would be in the truck water pumps with the double pulley, you would have to use accessories that would work with these pumps.

There are new reproductions of these pumps available as well as rebuilt pumps. The main difference is that the rebuilt pumps have a bushing for the shaft and the reproduction pumps use a bearing. There have been some reports that the reproduction pumps require modifications of the castings in order to fit correctly and that some of the reproductions had the holes for mounting machined off as much as 1/8". If you go the reproduction route, make sure that the vendor will stand behind the fit of the pump.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=884