Topic: 1936 Cabriolet Windshield Replacement

katsfan    -- 08-07-2015 @ 8:24 AM
  I have been searching for instructions for replacing the badly cracked windshield in my '36 Cabriolet but not finding much. The glass and gasket seem readily available but how difficult is it to install?
How is the chrome trim on the outside removed and reinstalled?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

40 Coupe    -- 08-07-2015 @ 8:50 AM
  The rubber seal is not a big deal but the glass has to be nearly identical in size to the original, so save the glass if possible. if the replacement is too big by 1/4" the frame may fit the glass but not the into the car. frame comes apart by the screws on the side of the frame. They often are frozen in position and brake when you try to remove them. Take your time and often heat is necessary. I believe there are about 13 10-32 screws holding the frame to the windshield body surround and the wiper motor has to be removed, along with the inner window garnish molding covering the 13 screws. If your car has been restored this may not be a very hard job.

katsfan    -- 08-09-2015 @ 7:45 AM
  Looked at the windshield today. The bottom of the frame appears to be behind the top of the dash. Does the dash have to come out to get the frame out?
I also don't see anything on the side. Is it only held top and bottom?
Is there a drawing of this anywhere?
Thanks again.

flatheadfan    -- 08-09-2015 @ 2:58 PM
  Katsfan-

I also have a '36 cabriolet so I have had some window removal experience. As I recall, the window on mine was only attached on the bottom and the top. To get at the top bolts you need to remove the header panel. The bottom is also bolted on and the bolts are fairly "simple" to get at (considering you are upside down working under the dash), except the last two on the right. You need to remove the glove box to get at them.

Hope this helps.

Tom

katsfan    -- 08-11-2015 @ 9:25 AM
  Thanks Tom.. I'll crawl under and look.
New issue - trying to remove the windshield wiper arm and it seems to pull out of the attaching stud. Is there a trick to the wiper arm removal?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8835