Topic: Axle races

thirtysixford    -- 08-06-2015 @ 6:32 PM
  Any tips to get the races out of the axel bells?

JM    -- 08-07-2015 @ 6:14 AM
  I press them out. Made a bar the inserts from bearing race end of axel housing and possitions on the slightly exposed edge of the bearing race. I insert an old axel threaded end first into the wheel end of the axel housing until the threaded end comes against the bar. Then press the bearing race out of the axel housing.
I have also removed them by using a long piece of bar stock inserted through wheel end of axel housing and touches exposed edge of race. Then tap on bar stock while moving it around on bearing race and drive the race out.

John

flatheadman    -- 08-07-2015 @ 9:28 AM
  If you have problems, and have a stick welder, run a a hot bead on the bearing surface of the race and allow it to cool. The race will fall out.

thirtysixford    -- 08-07-2015 @ 11:04 AM
  thanks to both of you
I don't have any welding equipment.
Not much of the race is available to press it out, but I guess if you did it, I probably can.

Only about a 32th of an inch exposed and its 32 inches down the tube

JM    -- 08-07-2015 @ 5:04 PM
  Here is a picture of the pressing bar that I made sitting on bearing race I had pressed out. I made this rectangular bar, that has a slight radius on both ends, in a few minutes from a piece of stock I already had in the shop. I like to press these old Ford script bearings out for possible reuse because they are made from better material than some of the new off shore bearings available today.

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-7-15 @ 5:07 PM

JM    -- 08-07-2015 @ 5:16 PM
  Here is another picture. The bar only catches on a very small exposed part of the race on both sides. That all that's necessary to press these out.

I wish this website was a little more user friendly for posting pictures. Allowing only one picture per post is a bit archaic.

John

flatheadman    -- 08-07-2015 @ 5:21 PM
  That could be used with a slidehammer with a little modification.

thirtysixford    -- 08-21-2015 @ 3:28 PM
  After seeing John's reply, I started looking for something in my garage that would work

I came up with a timing gear puller W87010 that i will never use again. I cut it to approximate length with an abrasive disk, then fine tuned the OD with a grinder to just the OD that is exposed in the housing. I made a small notch to make the tool index on the bearing.

The puller has a 5/8-18 hole in the center so you can use a slide hammer or like I did use a piece of 3/4 inch pipe 36" long to push it out.

thirtysixford    -- 08-21-2015 @ 3:33 PM
  forgot to mention the tool is drop forged steel...... very strong

JM    -- 08-23-2015 @ 8:21 AM
  Thirtysix, sounds like you got some ideas based on my post, then improved upon the idea. That's great....keep up the good work. For some reason I always enjoy making my own tools to work on my old Fords, especially now that I am retired and have the time.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8833