Topic: 1935 Headlamp Contact Orientation

rmetzg    -- 08-06-2015 @ 6:50 AM
  After fixing the short in my 1935 coupe electrical system, I noticed that one of the headlamps was burned out - GE Type 23-31. I ordered some replacements on-line, but they didn't work. After investigating a little, I found that the contacts on these replacement bulbs are exactly 90 degrees from where they should be.

See the attached pic. Note how the holes in the flange allow you to insert the bulb in only one orientation (they aren't all 120 degrees apart from each other). The original bulb is on the left; the new bulb is on the right. Note how the contacts are exactly 90 degrees off, so when I install the bulb, the contacts are not aligned.

Is this a result of buying the wrong bulbs? The site I bought from lists these as the correct replacement for my year and model. Anyone else had this experience?

Don Rogers    -- 08-06-2015 @ 8:20 AM
  My guess is that you had the wrong bulbs to start with. A 1935 Ford should have head light bulbs # 2330 not 2331. 2331 are Chrysler headlight bulbs. The bulb that you show on the right (replacement) has the correct orientation and is a #2330.

Don Rogers

rmetzg    -- 08-09-2015 @ 1:38 PM
  I believe you are right, Don. There is no doubt that the orientation of the contacts is exactly 90 degrees out from what I need for the 2330 bulb..

An examination of the wiring leading up to the headlamp, and behind the reflector is shown in the attached pic. Note the different color wires on either side of the silicone seal that someone "installed". The brown and orange wires (original) become solid black after the junction. My guess is that someone installed Chrysler lamp sockets at one point - which take 2331 bulbs.

The wiring needs to be replaced anyway, so I think I will spring for some new correct sockets and get the reflectors, too (mine are pretty old and don't clean up well). An interesting find!

rmetzg    -- 08-09-2015 @ 2:12 PM
  OK, I'm not condoning the procedure outlined below, but I think the risk of fire is low, and it's only a temporary fix until my parts come in as described in the post above. I don't really plan to use the headlights before then anyway. But I wanted to try to create a "90-degree turner" that will allow my 2331 sockets to work with a 2330 bulb.

I measured out two small pieces of stiff business card that will fit in the space between the headlamp socket pins and the base of the lamp. Glued them together and marked the locations of where the contact points will "rest" when inserted, front and back. That's pics 1 and 2.

To start making the 90 degree electrical turn, I pierced a hole in between these two locations and inserted a wire with contact points resting on the marked points on either side of the card - it looks like an "S' when done right. Glued these into place. That's pics 3 and 4.

I then inserted this into a bench vise and flattened it for all I could muster. It came out very nice and stiff and very thin, which was what I was after. I lightly Dremel'ed the contact points to make sure no glue was in the way of making an electrical connection.

After working to install and get them aligned, I ended up notching a corner out to give me a little extra rotation for alignment purposes. That's pic 5.

Pic 6 is the working result. This is with both sockets being the Chrysler type. The Chrysler 2331 bulb is in the left headlamp. The correct Ford 2330 bulb, along with my "90 degree turner" is in the right lamp. This whole procedure took about 15 minutes to make and install.

Having proven it can be done, I won't fire up the headlights for any length of time, and will await the correct parts. But, hey, if baling wire used to be an approved tool, this would have made someone proud!

40 Coupe    -- 08-09-2015 @ 5:17 PM
  It appears your bulb socket is in good order, it is the wires that are bad. You can purchase the wires for replacement to your bulb socket and solder the wires to new contacts for the socket.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8829